Style > Fashion

Transitioning from Summer to Fall Clothes: A Blessing and a Curse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

The transition from summer weather to fall is one of the most exciting times of the year for fashion enthusiasts because a large variety of pieces are appropriate for both weather and style. However, constructing an outfit this time of year can also be challenging because it can be hot and sunny one minute and cold and rainy the next. Here are my tips to handle this transition in seasonal fashion while staying comfortable around campus in style.

Canvas Sneakers

I love canvas sneakers because they go with almost every outfit. They can be worn with trendy jeans, sporty leggings, or even a casual dress. Canvas sneakers are good for early fall because they provide enough ventilation for hot weather, but are also closed-toe and practical for chilly fall days. Many canvas sneakers are slide-on, which is great for when you’re getting dressed for class in a hurry. These shoes are so comfortable, but also stylish enough to tie together an outfit.

Ripped Mom Jeans

I wore ripped mom jeans all summer and I plan to wear them all fall too. The more rips in your jeans, the more air flows through them. This means that on hot days your legs have room to breathe so you won’t overheat. On cooler days, you also have enough fabric on your legs that you won’t be too cold either. Mom jeans are also looser and more comfortable than skinny jeans which creates a great combination of comfort and style for your outfit.

Zip-Up Hoodies/Jackets

I love to layer an unzipped hoodie or jacket over a tank top or t-shirt when I am going to be out all day but am not sure about the in-between temperatures. If you get too hot, you can take off this top layer and put it in your bag or tie it around your waist. If you start to feel chilly, you can zip it up for added warmth. Wearing this piece unzipped over a tight or loose plain shirt also creates a trendy layered look that is perfect for the fall fashion aesthetic.

Lightweight Leggings

If you’re like me and own literally 1,000,000 pairs of leggings, you know that everyone’s favorite stretchy pants come in a wide variety of materials. I wore thinner leggings all summer in a variety of lighter colors (light blue, light olive green, pink) and never felt like my legs were too hot. Incorporating leggings that are made from a lighter material can help you transition comfortably into the fall weather because your legs will be covered by long pants, but they will not be heavy enough to make you sweat. I love the material of the leggings from Lululemon because I find it to be really breathable and comfortable, but there are also so many other great brands out there that offer a similar product.

Gold Jewelry

On a side note, I have been obsessed with gold jewelry lately. Pairing chunky gold hoops with a few layered gold necklaces instantly spices up even the plainest outfit. Gold is classic and works with anything, so you can incorporate it into your spring, summer, fall, or winter wardrobes.

I am a senior at Bentley University studying Corporate Finance and Accounting. I am a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority and campus correspondent for Bentley's chapter of HerCampus. I also work as an intern at an accounting firm! When I’m not writing articles for HerCampus, you can find me in line at Dunkin’.