Top 5 Reasons to Play Sports on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

As a varsity athlete here on campus, it’s almost impossible to imagine life without a team and a schedule. Playing sports in college, whether it be intramural or varsity, undoubtedly benefits your average collegiette in almost every way─ mind, body and certainly (school) spirit! Here are the top five reasons to go out and play today.

ONE: IT’S AN EASY WAY TO STAY IN SHAPE

Playing on a team is both a fun and easy way to stay in shape! Instead of trekking to the gym to run on a treadmill for an hour, you can go hang out with friends, get some fresh air and have fun playing whatever sport you’re into. Practicing a few times a week is a surefire way to steer clear of the freshman fifteen, and not even realize you’re doing it.

TWO: MAKING NEW FRIENDS

Even if you aren’t best friends with your teammates, it’s guaranteed that you have at least one thing in common: your sport. Spending a few hours with the same group of people for a couple of weeks not only ensures laughs and inside jokes, but will most likely result in a solid friendship for a long time. There is a special bond between those who share in the pain of training and the excitement of winning together, that for the most part is hard to break.

THREE: A FOCUS ON GPAS

Many of the varsity teams at Bentley require a certain GPA from their players, making schoolwork a top priority for the college athlete. A large percent of tutors on campus participate in some form of athletics, and oftentimes freshmen are obliged to attend mandatory study tables. This environment is a breeding ground for academic success, ultimately putting a larger focus on GPAs than your average collegiette.

FOUR: BYE BYE PROCRASTINATION

When you have to work around a practice, training and game schedule, life seems to get a little hectic. Fortunately the added pressure does just the opposite; your days are more structured and you are able to see when you need to work on assignments and how much time you have to do so. This limited amount of time practically eliminates procrastination completely, serving as motivation to do what you need to on time.

FIVE: SUPER SPIRIT

When you play for a college team you always want more fans. Because of that, you feel the pain of other teams with little support, and always do your best to get out supporting your fellow athletes. Also, when you play for a team you’re representing the entire community, upping the pride and spirit you feel toward your school─ generally making game day more fun for everyone on campus.

Photo Source:

wca-blog.org

Freshman from Westchester, NY.
Bentley University