Student Discounts to Help your Wallet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Ever thought being a college student could actually save you some money?

I’m sure we can agree that we all like shopping. Ever heard of retail therapy? Clothes, bags, jewelry, shoes…whatever it is, buying it makes us happy. We all know that there’s nothing better than strutting around campus in a brand new outfit. But being the ‘broke college students’ that we are, it is extremely painful to pay full price for things.  

The other weekend, I went into J.Crew at the Natick Mall. Of course I was drawn to everything in the store, and had to control myself from bringing every single piece of clothing into the dressing room. I set my limit to buying only three things, and when I put my clothes up on the counter, the lady asked me “are you a college student?” I handed her my Bentley ID and a whopping 15 percent came off of my total; at that moment, I was thinking two things: why didn’t I know about this before and why didn’t I buy those other clothes I wanted?

Not only J.Crew, but a number of other stores offer student discounts that you probably were not even aware of. So the answer is yes, being a college student can save you a little money, so take advantage while you can!

Retail shops and online stores to use your ID at:

·       J.Crew 15%

·       Banana Republic 15%

·       Vineyard Vines 15%

·       Alex and Ani 10%

·       H&M 15%

·       Eastern Mountain Sports 20% for EMS brands, 15% all other brands

·       Eddie Bauer 15%

·       Urban Outfitters 10% (on select days)

·       Kate Spade 15%

·       Topshop 10%

·       ASOS 10%

Technology:

If you’re looking for a new laptop or any new software, get it before you graduate so you can take advantage of technology deals at Apple, Adobe, Dell, Microsoft, Lenovo, Sony and Norton!

Transportation:

Taking a Greyhound home for the weekend? Maybe Amtrak? Get a Student Advantage Discount Card (which gives you access to much more than transportation too) and receive 10-20% off the trips you already have to take.

Newspapers + Magazines:

As a Bentley Student it’s essential that we stay up on current events, so why not subscribe to The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, the Economist, and hey maybe even Entertainment Weekly, because these magazines and newspapers offer student rates and discounts.

Waltham perks:

·       The Embassy Cinema $7.75 (original price is $10)

·       Salon XS 20%

·       Jason B William Salon $17 haircuts before 4pm

·       American Day Spa 10% off

·       Lucy Nail salon 10%

·       Pilates A Fitness Studio $12 drop in rates

·       Shiva Shakti Yoga Center $10 off 10 class package of $3 off drop in rate

Museums & More: check out this to see what Bentley offers

·       New England Aquarium – 4 people for $10 each

·       Harvard Art Museums – 2 people for free

·       Museum of Fine Arts – 2 people for $10 each

·       Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum – 4 people for $5 each

·       Museum of Science – FREE

Don’t forget AmazonStudent for fast 2-day shipping and free streaming video!

All in all, the moral of the story is this: every time you go shopping, just ask if they offer a student discount. Although it may not seem like a huge amount off, it will save you a few extra dollars that you can spend someplace else, like a few coffees at Dunkin or my favorite Pumpkin Chai Tea at Argo. Happy shopping!

Sources for information:

Quarters: https://expertbeacon.com/save-money-and-spend-wisely-become-millionaire-living-frugally#.VhqCfPlVhBc

Shopping girls: http://www.havetravelmemories.com/area-attractions/destin-shopping

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/08/28/discounts-you-didn-know-you-can-get-with-your-student/GqhJhMOb7Ht7nYO6Ppc26L/story.html

http://www.tun.com/index.php/map#_

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.