Rusty McKinney, Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

With five years as a Bentley Football coach under his belt, Russell McKinney, better known as “Rusty,” this week’s Campus Celebrity, is surely a familiar face for those that support the Falcons! Rusty just completed his first year as a defensive coordinator for Bentley this season and is greatly respected and well-liked among fans, players, and parents. You can see him jumping up and down on the side line or pumping some passion and motivation into his players in a team huddle. Rusty is one of Bentley athletics’ more memorable members of their coaching staff and we got the chance to interview him with some post-season questions!

HC: What is the best part of your job? What is the most challenging?

RM: Working with such a great group of young men that are dedicated to success in the classroom and on the field.  The most challenging part of my job is definitely recruiting.  Finding an athlete with a combination of great academics as well as being a talented football player is difficult enough.  Then you take into consideration that we are competing with the other top academic schools in our region and it makes the talent pool even smaller.

HC: What is your greatest memory as a coach at Bentley so far?

RM: I don’t know if I have one memory that stands out from the others but there are many memories I have of players having breakthroughs.  When you watch a player dedicate themselves and finally accomplish their goals or overcome an obstacle…ya those are my favorite memories.

HC: What are some words of motivation you give to your players?

RM: I don’t know if I use anything specific.  That question may be better suited for the players.  I want them to work at getting better every day, as long as they do that they will always find success.

HC: What are you looking forward to the most for next year?

RM: An undefeated, championship season.  We have been close a few times since I’ve been here but we have yet to reach the top of the mountain.  It is time to leave our mark.

Olivia is a senior at Bentley University studying Information Design and Corporate Communication. On campus, she is an Admission Fellow and Peer Facilitator for Bentley’s First Year Seminar program, as well as Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Bentley. In her spare time, Olivia enjoys reading, writing, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and going to Disney World (she’s obsessed).