Rachel Palumbo '18

Name: Rachel Palumbo

Class: 2018

Hometown: Norfolk, MA

Major: IDCC with an LSM in Health and Industry

Her Campus Bentley: What are you involved in on campus?

Rachel Palumbo: Peer Leader, RA, Service Learning, and Soccer Intramurals

HCB: What do you like most about being an RA?

RP: I really enjoy getting close with my staff and supervisor, and having a group of like-minded individuals who provide constant support for one another.

HCB: Why did you become a program manager for Bentley’s Service Learning?

RP: I was fortunate to have Director Jonathan l. White as a professor freshman year, and learned about Service Learning through him. He encouraged me to come by the office and get involved; the day I quit playing soccer for Bentley, I was hired as a program manager. This was a huge day for me because soccer was the reason I came to Bentley. Since then, I have completely immersed myself into Service Learning. After that, I was hired as a committee member, and last spring I became the Student Director of Programs and Initiatives. The experience has culminated the past four years of service for me, and I am trying to leave a legacy project behind when I graduate.

HCB: How has Service Learning changed your overall perspective of giving back to the community?

RP: It changed my perspective in the sense that giving back is not just a one way street—learning and growing goes both ways. I could never give as much to the Prospect Hill Community as they have given me. I've also learned that this is not just a hobby, but I can actually create a career out of this. Also, the Service Learning Center showed me how businesses focus and address important needs in the community.

HCB: Relationship status?

RP: Dating John, a current graduate student at Bentley

HCB: How did you meet your significant other?

RP: He was my RA and we became best friends. We had similar friends, participated in the same activities, and started dating shortly after a Service Learning trip to Ecuador in the spring of 2016.

HCB: What is your personal starter pack?

RP: Dunkin Donuts coffee—medium french vanilla iced coffee, extra ice, 2 almond milk, and sugar. Sneakers. A ring from my parents—they gave it to me in 6th grade and I have always worn it ever since. Going to the beach is so important to me, specifically my Cape house. Lastly, cheese—any type of cheese, I don’t discriminate.

HCB: What are some things on your bucket list?

RP: I really want to be an expert in something. I want to be that go to person who knows everything about something so I can use it to make tangible strides against a pressing issue in society. Being a teacher would be an amazing experience—I love kids and know I will teach at some point in my career. I would love to travel the world as well!

Christmas Season

HCB: What is your favorite part of the holiday season?

RP: I love spending time with my family, and the New England weather makes me so happy. Also, the first snowfall will be wonderful.

HCB: Do you have any family traditions?

RP: We do a yankee swap with my extended family the day after Christmas. There is always one gag gift which make it a lot of fun.

HCB: What is your favorite Christmas song?

RP: “Where are you Christmas?”

HCB: Do you have any plans for the winter break?

RP: I plan to spend time with family and enjoy home-cooked meals. I will go to the gym every day as well as ski in my free time.

Favorites

HCB: Favorite movie?

RP: Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 (sorry not sorry)

HCB: Favorite quote?

RP: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.”  -Margaret Mead

HCB: Favorite music genre?

RP: Country

HCB: Favorite Songs?

RP:

1. “Fast Car” – Boyce Avenue cover

2. “All Too Well”

3. “Fast Cars and Freedom”

HCB: Favorite food?

RP: Grilled cheese and tomato soup

HCB: Favorite vacation spot?

RP: Cape Cod

HCB: Favorite spot on campus?

RP: The Service Learning Center (my second home)

HCB: Favorite restaurant?

RP: Bertucci’s

Dreams and Aspirations

HCB: What is your dream job?

RP: Program Development for a Non Profit organization that specializes in either education OR in trauma and adversity intervention for youth

HCB: If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?

RP: Thailand

HCB: What celebrity would you most like to meet if you had the chance?

RP: Craig and Marc Kielburger, co-founders of the world's largest youth empowerment organization, Me to We.

HCB: If money weren’t a factor, what would you buy yourself for the holidays?

RP: A helicopter or a private jet so I can easily travel to all of the places I want to see and help.

HCB: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

RP: Portland, Maine—but I think I would always come back to Boston and live near Seaport.