The Pros and Cons of Living in the Attic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

For those of you who do not know, the Attic is referring to the fifth floor of Boylston. As a student transferring into Bentley and not having a choice of housing like other sophomore’s, I was placed into Boylston. The issue being, I had no clue what this building looked like and online only the freshman living was being shown and I could only see what the building looked like from the outside which is absolutely no help. So, for those students who have Boylston next year and have no idea what to expect from the attic have no fear because here is a list of some pros and cons of living in the infamous Boylston Attic.

Pro: Location, Location, Location!

Boylston is located in basically the best spot on campus. It is smack dab in the center and is a short walk from virtually any location you would ever need to walk. Especially since it is right across from Dunkin’ Donuts which is basically a life line for college students in New England.

Con: The Extreme Lack of an Elevator.

I say extreme lack because after being forced to walk up five flights of stairs after a long day is the worst thing you could imagine. The worst might be getting all the way down them and then realizing you forgot something in which you basically want to throw yourself down the stairs.

Pro: Bathroom Cleanliness

The attic is a “suite” because it is four rooms on the top floor of A and B which has two bathrooms but lacks a common room. However, because of the lack of common room and because the bathrooms are shared by the entire floor we get our bathrooms cleaned for us.

Con: Lack of a Common Room

As mentioned before, there are no common rooms for the Boylston suites which is very inconvenient for doing work and is a bit annoying because technically that is what you are paying for…. But whatever, we get our bathrooms cleaned.

Pro: Mature/Quiet Building

The first four floors of Boylston are filled with seniors living in apartments which sounds like it could get rowdy but typically Boylston is not surrounded by partying on weekdays, mostly because the seniors are 21 and actually go out which during the week is awesome because who doesn’t love to sleep in the quiet!

Con: Ceiling

Unfortunately the reason the attic is called the attic is due to the slant in the ceiling. For one unfortunate soul there bed is up against the wall with the slanted ceiling and 9/10 biff their head on the ceiling like once every day. Nothing like a bump on the head to make you want to get up for an 8am.

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.