The Pros and Cons of Bentley Freshmen Dorms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

There may be some things that you may have questions about in terms of where you will be living for your first year at college. We at Her Campus Bentley want to give you the inside details about freshman housing and where you will be living! You will have a great time wherever you end up living but here are some of the pros and cons of each of the freshman buildings…

Tree Dorms
Pros
• Trees is specifically a freshman dorm. There are no upperclassmen…except for all the RA’s.
• Very easy to walk around and get to know people because so many freshmen live in Trees (keep your door open as much as possible, it’s a great way to meet new people!).
• The largest Freshmen dorm area at Bentley.
• Very close to Seasons dining hall.
• Right next to Slade.
• Some parking spots available in the back of the building, if for some reason you have a car freshman year.
• Floors on trees alternate between boys and girls, not one whole floor is designated to just boys or just girls.
• Close to classes and the library. (you only have to go up one flight of stairs…(but see cons)
• Close to the Greenspace on Upper.
• Big laundry rooms.
• The Harvard Square shuttle stop is right next to Trees.
• The laundry room is pretty big.
• Many doors to get in and out of the building.
• There is a backstage lounge, closest to Spruce.
• Study areas are available.
• Wireless access available everywhere.

Cons
• Since it is the biggest freshman dorm on campus, from Alder to Spruce, the building is very long and sometimes is tedious to walk from end to end.
• Trees stairs to class- ridiculously steep and very hard to get used to (but you’ll be in great shape!)
• At first, trees is pretty confusing, but you’ll get used to all the different names and overall weird floor plan of trees (basically it’s one big zig-zag).
• Pretty far from lower campus.

[pagebreak]

Slade Hall
Pros
• Racket ball courts on the bottom floor and a fitness studio.
• Big laundry room.
• Very close to Trees, and to Seasons Dining Hall.
• Still close to the Harvard loop shuttle stop.
• Pretty close to classes (have fun walking up those Trees stairs!)
• There is some parking, but you’ll have to share with anyone from Trees who wants to park there.
• Study areas available.
• Close to the Greenspace on Upper.
• Wireless access available everywhere.
• Slightly larger rooms than in Trees.
• Pretty quiet on the weekdays and weekends.
• Straight hallways instead of the zig-zaggy Trees, so much less confusing.
• Larger bathrooms.

Cons
• Isn’t the biggest dorm, so there are obviously less people.
• Not as easy to meet as many freshmen because Slade is smaller than Trees.
• Not as much storage as there is in Trees.
• Not as many function rooms.

[pagebreak]

Miller Hall
Pros
• Close to classes, and you don’t have to walk up a bunch of stairs to get there!
• Close to Seasons Dining Hall.
• Closer to lower campus,which also means it’s closer to the gym!
• Plenty of parking close to the dorms.
• Study areas available.
• Wireless access available everywhere.

Cons
• Pretty far away from the rest of freshman housing.
• Harder to meet freshmen because it is so far away.
• The triple rooms are in the basement and there is only one bathroom.

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.