Professor Donald McNemar, Senior Lecturer, Global Studies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Don’t you just love walking into class and seeing a professor that is always smiling and rearing to talk about the course material? There is an abundance of those types of professors here at Bentley and Professor Donald McNemar of the Global Studies department is one of the best. If you have not already taken some of your GLS classes, I highly recommend you take him!

Her Campus Bentley (HCB): Why did you choose to get involved in international relations?

Donald McNemar (DM): I grew up as a Quaker in the Midwest. I attended Earlham College in Indiana and studied Political Science. Quakers have a basic belief that God is in everyone and that everyone should be treated with respect. Also we believe when cultures are different than your own, you must try to understand that culture and want to bring peace between nations, which explains my love for all things international.

HCB: Who is your favorite international figure?

DM: Kofi Annan (who is the Secretary General of the United Nations) is someone I highly respect. Kofi Annan grew up in Ghana and worked his way up in diplomacy. Speaking of the UN, I am currently involved with the Quaker advisory committee within the UN.

HCB: I know that you own many different ties, can you tell me which one is your favorite and why?

DM: Bentley Model UN (MUN) gave me a United Nations tie. That one is pretty special. I also received one from a student who studied abroad in the UK with the British flag all over it, and a Gerry Garcia tie!

HCB: Considering how many places you’ve traveled to, which would you say was the best experience and why?

DM: Ghana was a really amazing experience for me. Two years ago I took 17 students to study the international organizations that were working on development projects within the country. What I was really surprised about was that the people of Ghana (even with their limited resources) still live a happy life.

HCB: If there is one piece of advice you wish Bentley students knew from a professor’s perspective, what would it be?

DM: One thing I really try to encourage Bentley students to do is to follow their passion. When you choose to do something you love and are excited about you will wake up every day smiling and ready to go!