Pop the “Bentley Bubble”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Ever feel like you’re disconnected from the real world while living on campus? I’ve found that it’s easy to forget what life outside of Bentley is like considering we eat here, we study here, we socialize here, we sleep here…and the list goes on. At home, there aren’t any roommates to bother by turning on the news.

Long distance and frequent driving results in being in the know about new songs on the radio. Strangers come and go through town, as opposed to the Bentley students who primarily drive around campus. Since I’ve been here, I’ve been getting creative with ways to stay connected with everything going on outside of Bentley.

With busy college schedules, it’s easy to forget to turn on the news or even have time to weed through headlines in a newspaper or online. One great way to stay up on current events is to have breaking news emails forwarded to your smartphone. FoxDigital Registration allows you to choose between Fox breaking news alerts, Fox business news alerts, or both. These emails don’t ever clog up my inbox like other news updaters do, so I would definitely recommend it to find out the most important headlines in a timely manner.

My roommate and I were joking about how we feel like there’s radio silence at Bentley! Turns out, we didn’t even recognize half the songs on the iTunes top 10 and since then have made an effort to keep up with new releases. We’ve been utilizing online radio in our room which is provided by many major stations in big cities such as Z100’s iHeartRadio Live which plays live music from New York’s top 100 hit music station.

If you ever feel like you see the same people walking to and from class, around the student center, and in your building, hop on the shuttle to Harvard Square to mix in some diversity. Sometimes, it’s refreshing to walk around and see new and unfamiliar faces of every age and to get away from campus for a few hours. Go shopping, grab a bite to eat, or just check out the urban area. A change in scenery is sometimes all you need to get your mind off the stress of college!

Image Sources:
Harvard Square image
iHeart image

Bentley University Class of 2016