“NO! NO! NO!” – My Experience with the Bentley Rape and Aggression Defense Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

If there is one thing that I will never forget about RAD (Rape Aggression Defense), it will be screaming with fifteen other women while jumping into defensive stances; hands-at-the-ready and standing with feet slightly apart. We even shocked the instructors, who said, “Wow, you girls are quite loud,” after they had taught us to use our voices when fighting off attackers. RAD is a class held by the Bentley Police that teaches women defense techniques to prevent serious attacks made against them.

During my first RAD class, we were told that we would step into the middle of a circle of class participants, individually, using the defensive stance to practice a few of the punches we had learned. When it was my turn, I stepped into the circle screaming, “NO!” Everyone starting laughing, which confused me, because I thought I had done everything right. It wasn’t until the instructor said, “Try not to hop into your stance like a bunny, Amanda,” that I realized I had literally jumped up into the air to take my defensive position. Embarrassed, I began to laugh with the others knowing that I had a lot to learn.

By the end of the course, I was making progress and assumed I could defend myself. After all, I had learned to kick, punch, roll, free myself from an arm lock, and scream loudly. Using these techniques, I thought the final test would be easy, until I saw my fake attackers, which were huge guys dressed in mounds of padding and headgear that towered over me. When it was my turn, in order to compensate for their size and strength, I was also dressed with a helmet, mounds of padding and boxing gloves. When the buzzer went off, I immediately felt my blood rush, but I said to myself, “Just be calm.”

One of the attackers taunted, “Hi, little girl.” I panicked, but was ready for his first move. I was quickly thrown backwards, so I immediately started kicking whatever parts of his body that I could. Then, after freeing myself by pulling as hard as I could away from my attacker, I was pushed back down. With a series of swift punches and kicks to their sides, both of my attackers were now on the ground. The teachers and students clapped for me because I had gotten away safely.

Not only did RAD teach helpful defensive moves, it also empowered every student in our class.We ended the course as strong and fearless females not afraid to stand up to a possible attack.

Bentley University 2014 Public Policy and Business Studies Concentration Marketing
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.