This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Wow! September breezed past us, and spooky season is right around the corner! Before the month officially ends, I wanted to share my September playlist favorites. I always seek out new music. Whenever I find music or friends offer song recommendations, I add it to my ‘song recs’ playlist on Spotify. When I have time, I sit down and listen through the playlist, and I add the ones I enjoy to the next monthly playlist. When the next month rolls around, voila! I have a main playlist to listen to for that month. I’m going to share some personal favorites off my ‘9.20’ playlist on Spotify!

Crowded Room – Christian French

I only knew of Christian’s single, “sweet home,” but a friend recommended this song, and I fell in love! Production-wise, the song doesn’t have many elements going on, but it’s the simple analogy (being in a crowded room and having no personal space, just like the anxious thoughts overcrowding your head) that makes the song impactful.

my future – Billie Eilish 

From the perspective of the same girl in ‘”idontwannabeyouanymore,” Billie explores her passage to a happier place. She’s learning to love herself, and Billie acknowledges she’s in a better place and won’t let her depression overtake her. The organ-like accompaniment, sometimes complemented with a light percussive beat, set the gradually uplifting tone of the song.

My Whole Life – Alina Baraz 

‘My Whole Life’ carries a very soft, wistful melody, reflecting the heart of the song. Sometimes, you meet someone, and you feel an overwhelming sense of familiarity and home. Your experiences with that person are heightened, and the song beautifully articulates that notion.

Different Realities – Jessie Iris 

The song continually builds up with layers of instrumentation (the saxophone being my favorite addition) that blend seamlessly for a full-send chorus. The catchy hook (gives me ‘No Scrubs’ by TLC vibes) distracts us from the artist expressing his wish to be part of another woman’s world, but they only remain in different realities.

I Believe – Jonas Brothers  Nick Jonas expresses his thoughts and feelings for his wife, Priyanka; he believes in the love they share despite outside criticisms. Breaking down the production, it’s actually pretty simple. You’ve got sustained synths, rhythmic synths, finger snaps, a kick-snare pattern, and a few ambient chords to add depth and help with transitions between sections. It attests to the adage less is more.

Twenties – Bren Joy 

As the title suggests, the song fantasizes what many say is the best time of our lives—our twenties. It’s easy to get lost in the music as the lyrics vividly depict a young well-off couple living their best life in the city, and even as they’re getting older, they are enamored with living in the present. The concentration of the piano in the upper register adds to the song’s spirit of reverie.

One Foot – Walk the Moon

This empowering upbeat song makes references to a desert, which we often associate with nothingness. Walk the Moon has disclosed that the choice of imagery was meant to evoke uncertainty. Like life, deserts are vast lands of nothing, and it’s easy to feel lost. They, however, want to emphasize that a desert can also be seen as an empty canvas where we can make our impact. It starts with “one foot in front of the other.” It’s an uplifting message I think we all need to hear.

I hope you enjoyed these breakdowns! I also hope that you found some new gems to add to your playlists!

Hi! My name is Bethany, and I'm a sophomore at Bentley University!! Outside of HC, I'm involved in CAB, WBTY Radio Bentley, and Off the Clock, Bentley's A Capella group. In my free time, I love listening to music, songwriting, and spending time in the great outdoors!
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!