This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I would consider myself someone with a passion for fashion. I love to observe trends and to try new styles to develop my personal taste. Until reading a few articles about Milan Fashion Week for my Italian fashion class, I never considered the fashion industry from a holistic standpoint– I failed to recognize just how much technicality and careful craftsmanship goes into runway shows. I read an article explaining how designers Giorgio Armani and Dhruv Kapoor created similar “moods” in their shows with vastly different fashion designs. Reading about how much thought the designers put into their shows makes them seem more like an experience than an avenue simply to display the styles of the season. The visual of Armani’s show being held “inside Milan’s courtyards, islands of clam concealed from general view within the walls of the city’s austere neoclassical architecture” is beautiful and gives an impression of blissful exclusivity. After reading the article, I was inspired to search for photos of the looks showcased by Armani and Kapoor. There were many that I tried to imagine on regular people and came to the conclusion that some designs are made exclusively for beautiful people– which I find quite amusing. Star power and fame are phenomena I am very intrigued by and there is something to be said about the fashion industry’s role in upholding this social construct.

Jane Massett

Bentley '25

Hi! My name is Jane Massett and I'm from Westchester New York. I am a sophomore at Bentley University and I plan to major in Media and Culture.