Life > Experiences

My New Favorite Things About Thanksgiving from Someone who’s not from the US

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Thanksgiving is something I have always heard about and seen online but was never something that had any importance or place in my life growing up outside of the US. Coming to school in the US has given me the chance to learn so much more about it and here are some of my favorite things!

1.The Emphasis on Gratefulness

Being grateful is something I value in my life, so much so that I wear the phrase “be grateful” around my wrist. I love that Thanksgiving is a time where everyone reflects on their lives and acknowledges their family, their friends, their health, and all the pieces of their life that maybe they take for granted.

2. Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

Apparently, this is something literally everyone has watched before growing up and I feel like I completely missed out. The Gen Bod where I was introduced was hands down the highlight of my week.  

3. Friendsgiving

As someone who isn’t going to doing the whole Thanksgiving dinner, I LOVE the concept of Friendsgiving! It’s when you do the same kinds of thing you would do with your family but with your friends. I am forcing my roommates to do this with me and I think you all should too.

4. The Weather

I think this time of year has the PERFECT temperature (besides summer of course) where it’s chilly outside, but in a good way. The outfits are cute, the colors are beautiful, and no sweating!

5. Seasons Thanksgiving Meal

I cannot wait for this day. Seasons actually cooks really good food for us, and we go with big groups of people to just enjoy! It’s almost like an alternative to Friendsgiving if you don’t like to cook or don’t want to spend money!

6. Turkey’s!

Spotting turkeys on Bentley’s campus is the best thing ever. No elaboration needed on this one.

So, it’s safe to say I love Thanksgiving even though I don’t celebrate it with my family! Hope you all have an AMAZING holiday and remember to tell the people you are grateful for how much you care!

Taylor White

Bentley '26

Hi everyone, my name's Taylor and I'm a sophomore at Bentley University majoring in Finance and an interest in minoring in Sustainability! I am originally from Canada but grew up on a tiny island called Bermuda which I now call home. I love swimming, the environment, my family and anything to do with music!