This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I, like most of the world’s population, am a huge fan of Rom-Coms. But I am also incredibly particular about which I like and which I don’t. I’m going to list some of the most popular Rom-Coms that I don’t like and explain why. Disclaimer: I have a lot of unpopular opinions. 

Pride and Prejudice

As I write this, I realize that this is purely a Romance movie and not a Rom-Com. Nonetheless, I didn’t like it. I can watch long movies, but watching this felt like it took several hours. The fact of the matter is that I was bored. I know it’s supposed to be some huge deal when Mr. Darcy flexed his hand or whatever but I was unimpressed? He barely spoke to her at all before declaring he was in love with her? Overall this movie was just not for me, but I should also mention that I’m not a very big fan of period pieces anyway. 

When Harry Met Sally

I was simply bored! I don’t have as strong feelings about this one as I do for Pride and Prejudice, but it truly was just ok. It didn’t make me feel the emotions that I want when watching a Rom-Com. I wasn’t at all jealous of their relationship but maybe it’s because I wasn’t the biggest fan of either of them. The storyline isn’t set up well in my opinion because I am immediately not rooting for them. Harry said guys and girls can never be just friends and right off the bat I’m hoping he proves that statement wrong. Then, when they get together for the first time the whole scene is bizarre and makes me so uncomfortable. The ending lines from Harry were cute, but I really did not care for the characters or see the chemistry between them so even that didn’t help the case. 

Stuck In Love

I actually could not stand to watch the father have a relationship. It was so gross for me to see because he looks like a grandpa to be honest. This movie kind of had eerie vibes and was very mundane. When I’m watching a romance movie I want to see the world as a happy place full of love and this movie made everything seem so dull and like the harsh problems of the world remain when you’re in love. A little too realistic for my taste, I suppose. I’d prefer a movie to fuel my delusions that love conquers all and when you’re with someone the world becomes brighter and more manageable. 

Never Been Kissed

I watched this with my friends on a Drew Barrymore kick and this is probably my least favorite of the ones on this list. Why are we romanticizing a teacher who fell in love with a student and acting like it is acceptable and ok? It’s true that Drew’s character was not really a student and was of age, but the teacher didn’t know that as he was “getting to know her”. When he was “getting to know her” it was as a High School senior and a student in his class. The movie was weird and gross, not to mention Drew’s character was horribly annoying. If there’s any opinion you consider when picking a movie, let it be this one. Any other Drew Barrymore movie would be better.

Notting Hill

My opinion on this movie could potentially be skewed because I watched it right out of a relationship. Regardless, I hold strong in my belief that Will and Anna should not be together. When she came back and stood in his bookstore claiming that she’s just a girl asking a boy if he’ll love her, THAT WAS NOT ALL THERE WAS. She mistreated him several times and never in that speech did she give an explanation about how things would be different if he took her back. Now, this is where the relationship experience comes in– imagine your ex coming back into your life who absolutely ruined you and that you haven’t been able to move on from after months. This person did not treat you right but you love them and wished they could. If they came back into your life begging for you back but providing no evidence that they’d treat you better, it would be foolish to let them back in!!! More likely than not, they will hurt you again and you’ll be worse off than before. It ended up that Anna did have plans to be better to him by taking a step back from acting and staying in England for him, but she never verbalized that in her speech at the bookstore so I think Will was right for telling her no. Everything worked out in the end and he probably did make the right choice by running after her, so maybe I’m just bitter. Either way, this movie was frustrating and hurt to watch more than made me happy so that’s the reason it appears on this list. 

Jane Massett

Bentley '25

Hi! My name is Jane Massett and I'm from Westchester New York. I am a sophomore at Bentley University and I plan to major in Media and Culture.