Moussa Hassoun ’14, Campaign Manager for Bentley Against Malaria (BAM)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Name:Moussa Hassoun
Major/Graduation Year:Major in Management with a Minor in Law / Class of 2014
Hometown: Born in Brooklyn, New York but lived in Lebanon for 10 years before becoming a resident of New Bedford, Massachusetts

Bentley Accomplishments:Moussa works for Bentley Advancement Services as a prospect research assistant. Outside of the classroom, he is treasurer for Model UN, was a participant on the Bentley Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition Team, which recently came in second place at regionals, and is a political/social columnist for The Vanguard in a commentary titled, “Scratching the Surface.” This year, Moussa became the campaign manager for BAM!, also known as Bentley Against Malaria.

Her Campus Bentley:What inspired you to create Bentley Against Malaria (BAM)?

Moussa Hassoun:I was inspired to start Bentley Against Malaria because years ago my older sister decided to register a team on a website called Madnessagainstmalaria.com. As a family we raised money for bednets and made it to the quarterfinal round of the competition! If we could do that with 5 siblings, what about a Bentley Team? To note, there is no competitive format for the teams anymore, they removed it this year and therefore BAM is slightly different.

HC:What are your goals for the campaign?

MH:Our direct goal is to raise a minimum of $10,000 for bednets to send via Against Malaria and the International Red Cross to the most malaria stricken nations in Africa. Our less direct goal is to show that at a business school, we can work toward improving the world and are not always concerned about the bottom line. Social responsibility is extremely important and we have to lead the way; if not us, then who?

HC:How do you hope to achieve these goals? Any events,etc?

MH:We will be having many events this semester and the next. As for now, we have already had several table awareness events and taken open donations however, we will be selling merchandise (glasses, shirts, and cups) whose profit will go directly to purchase bednets (100% of donations go to bednets, no installment or transportation fees are to be paid). We are planning events for Trees and The GLC in Miller and will also hold more events in the Student Center (we will update with time!)

Check out Moussa and BAM on Facebook (Bentley Against Malaria) and on Twitter @BAgainstMalaria!

Bentley University 2014 Public Policy and Business Studies Concentration Marketing
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.