Latte Art
Latte Art
Kelsey Emery / Spoon

Make Coffee at Home (or in your dorm!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Coffee is one of my favorite things and it is something I look forward to having almost every day. For me, the caffeine is not much of a necessity compared to how it affects others but I genuinely enjoy the taste of the coffee I drink. It is always fun to go to a coffee shop and order a specialty drink or even a normal coffee but over time the money spent and calories wasted can add up. Here are a few options for how you can make coffee at home. 

Iced: Having coffee that is iced is my personal preference when drinking it. As of late, I have been purchasing the Starbucks brand or Stok Cold Brew iced coffee that comes in a bottle from the grocery store. These usually cost around $5 which isn’t cheap but when you consider one drink at Starbucks can easily cost more, buying a larger bottle to last you a week or longer is cost effective. In order to add some flavor and depth to my coffee I usually add almond milk or vanilla oat milk (which is my favorite). Adding milk or creamer that fits your preference will help you get the desired sweetness and taste you prefer in your coffee. 

Hot: Though I prefer iced, some days (especially in the winter or on rainy days), I am in the mood for a hot cup of coffee to have as I work on homework or take some time to myself. I have a Keurig machine that I keep in my dorm room and I have been using the regular Donut Shop K-Cups recently. In order to add some flavor to this coffee I have been using an almond milk based creamer that is caramel flavored and I started adding a little bit of cinnamon on the top. This combination adds creaminess and sweetness without containing dairy or too much added sugar. 

With these options, there is much room for customization of the recipes to fit your coffee preferences. The ingredients can all be found at grocery stores and when spread out throughout the week give you many cups of coffee that are relatively better for you and cost less than your go-to coffee shop drink. 

Sarah Donlan

Bentley '21

I am currently a senior at Bentley University, majoring in Accounting and minoring in CIS. My favorite articles to write are about makeup as well as productivity tips. 
Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.