Liked Saltburn? Here are more films with all the crazy and all the fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

As you are most likely aware, the 2023 film Saltburn starring Barry Kheogan and Jacob Eliordi has completely taken over tiktok and instagram, as well as its featured song Murder on the dance floor by Sophie Ellis-Bextor. 

Even though the film has received some mixed opinions, audiences can agree on two things: it is filled with crazy moments and some amazing fashion statements. Based on these two points, here are some recommendations to similar movies you may like even more. 

1. Plein Soleil (or Purple Noon)

v87bYHo8FUoGsvcecRIvW4vkRgNTJ9E47cLSR1VUFKijFkO1PkARBsoiGPbOUrkI0GsA3OKfjgA0L00A84KlArgIKS RRnJyMESpQ0jLDVKFCzZyJhDJ y 1WsEfA6am7TKsjply ePdcigl4hDCjF4

Directed by René Clément 1960. Property of Titanus.

This iconic french film from the 60s most likely served as inspiration for Saltburn. It follows the story of Tom Ripley when he travels to Italy to visit his playboy friend Phillippe Greenleaf and his fiancée, Marge Duval. What Phillippe doesn’t know is that his father paid Tom to convince him to leave Europe. But when the family cuts Tom’s funding, he tries to find another way to maintain his luxurious lifestyle. A crazy journey full of lies and deceit ensues in a race against time.

95% on Rotten Tomatoes

4/5 on Letterboxd

Available to stream on Kanopy. Buy or rent on Amazon and Apple TV.

2. The Neon Demon:

W8iN5XQuvz405 jo

Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn 2016. Property of Amazon Studios.

This psychological thriller starring Elle Fanning tells the story of her as a model named Jesse, a 16 year old girl who moves to Los Angeles for her birthday in hopes to exploit her beauty and become a model. Soon after she dives headfirst into a weird and twisted world of fashion, competing with other ruthless models who want what she has, a creepy photographer, and an obsessive friend. However this is just the tip of the iceberg and something more macabre lies beneath. 

59% on Rotten Tomatoes

3.2/5 on Letterboxd

Stream on Freevee or Prime video. Available to rent or buy on Amazon or Apple TV.

3. The Love Witch

Directed by Anna Biller 2016. Property of Oscilloscope Laboratories.

This 2016 picture perfectly encapsulates the 60s aesthetic with its colors and fashion. Elaine, the titular love witch, moves to a new town in hopes of finding her true love. However, she goes about it the wrong way, using spells and potions to try and make men obsessed with her. Yet, when they become too attached to her she finds a way to get rid of them which leads to murder, a police investigation and betrayal. You may have heard of this movie through its viral TikTok sounds and not even realize it, so give it a try and prepare for a weird ride full of fashion and witchy fun.

95% on Rotten Tomatoes

3.5/5 on Letterboxd

Stream on Mubi, rent or buy on Amazon or Apple TV.

4. Basic Instinct:

zaPZvHniM6yqFIOMDyS4JKHKS GVYej80ukRjzXgFCiHpclF070ROzKgu0tj4Knh46Hm60TyMAlZ ymqMNuXkAkT

Directed by Paul Verhoeven 1992. Property of TriStar Pictures.

This iconic yet controversial movie starring Sharon Stone and Michael Douglas, most notable for THAT interview scene (aka the most rewinded and paused movie of all time), is another example of weirdness and fashion. This movie follows Sharon Stone as Catherine a mystery writer and Michael Douglas as Nick a detective. Catherine becomes a murder suspect after a Rockstar she was involved with gets murdered in the same way as a character in one of her books. This sets off an explosive cat and mouse chase between Nick and Catherine with a lot of passion in between. 

56% on Rotten Tomatoes

3.6/5 on Letterboxd

Available to buy or rent on Amazon, Apple TV and Vudu.

5. Assassination Nation

zepCFZ6ou2JUCmXL3jVibaYZGbqt7h0v2svKSFHr cJAolu4V1Ku75w QBgVmrSS18cuvOysPu5E wLDc7xjci8gPYeelaFFyHAYs y5CGlshjIlQ21k5iGoz50PPIZ8kTt6FcTjG4Hhz1mhZidnzUM

Directed by Sam Levinson in 2018. Property of NEON.

This debut film from Sam Levinson known for The idol and Euphoria is a modern retelling of the play The Crucible; a play written by Arthur Miller which tells the story of the Salem Witch trials and how women were targeted for being different. This movie is also a sort of witch hunt where these women are targeted in a Purge-like chase after all of the town’s messages are leaked and the contents enrage everyone. This has everything, an affair, a who-dun-it, and an inseparable group of best friends with the same aesthetic Euphoria has shown us. With a notable cast full of familiar faces this is a must-watch. 

74% on Rotten Tomatoes

3/5 on Letterboxd

Hope you enjoy these campy films and their respective fashion aesthetics. If you watch any of these let us know in the comments!

Hi! I'm Izabella and I'm 21 years old. I am an international exchange student. I am originally from Costa Rica but study in Spain in Universidad de Navarra. I study Audiovisual Communication, currently in my third year. I love all things popculture and cinema so definitely except to read those types of articles from me.