Janet Ehl Director, Recruiting and Employer Relations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.
My job at Career Services is one of my favorite things I am involved in at Bentley. Though the work itself is really rewarding, the best part is the amazing people I work with! The staff at Undergraduate Career Services and Recruiting is dedicated to giving students on-campus career events, networking sessions, and on-site visits to help students prepare for their careers after college. Janet Ehl is an integral member of this amazing staff. Janet is the Director of Recruiting and Employee Relations, and had some great insight to share with us!

Her Campus Bentley: What is your position at Bentley, and how long have you been working here? 

Janet Ehl: I have been at Bentley since 2008.  First I was in a dual role as a Career Advisor in Career Services while also developing a Corporate Relations role.  Since the beginning of 2013, I have been the Director of Recruiting and Employer Relations here at Bentley. My colleagues and I in the Recruiting/Employer Relations team  have the excellent job of being able to connect Bentley students with companies and industry representatives.  This is, in the traditional sense, internship and job postings and on-campus interviews.  It also includes running two successful Career Fairs each academic year that brings over 250 companies to campus between both the Fall and Spring Career Fair.  Additionally, more and more companies want to connect with Bentley students in unique ways  over the course of the four years a student is at Bentley to get to know students and to brand the company name with students.  A few of these activities include: job shadows, site visits, case competitions, mock interviews, Resume ER, information sessions and drop-in hours.

I  also keep my hand in career services as the primary advisor to Computer Information Systems and also teach a section of the freshmen Career Development Introduction Seminar. 

HCB: How did you end up in Career Services? What drew you to this job?

JE: I have an undergraduate business degree and an MBA. My first career was in the financial services industry – the mutual fund industry.  I had very analytical jobs and I could do those jobs well and enjoyed them, but I really wanted to find a way to combine my business skill and knowledge with my desire to work more in a role directly helping others. I conducted informational interviews and did research and realized that career advising in a business school was a perfect way to combine those skills.  I have worked at two other colleges in career advising with MBA students and MBA alumni.  Bentley was the first time I had the privilege of also working with undergraduate students.

HCB: What is your favorite part of your job?

JE: There are a lot of things I like about it, so here goes! 
  1. There are never two days alike; I love the diversity of all my roles
  2. I think the “triple-play” of  working with students, faculty and our corporate partners is a successful combination and I enjoy working with each population 
  3. The Bentley environment is very collaborative and I appreciate my relationships with many colleagues across campus.

HCB: What has been your most memorable experience at Bentley thus far?

JE: All of it! But I will use a recent event – it was very cool to see the Women’s Basketball team win the NCAA Division II National Championship this year!

HCB: What advice do you have for Bentley students?

JE: Get involved! There are so many things to be a part of on campus so find something you enjoy and be an integral part of that group.  For every door you push open, many other doors you could never have foreseen will also open. 
Olivia is a senior at Bentley University studying Information Design and Corporate Communication. On campus, she is an Admission Fellow and Peer Facilitator for Bentley’s First Year Seminar program, as well as Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Bentley. In her spare time, Olivia enjoys reading, writing, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and going to Disney World (she’s obsessed).