How to Stay Organized Throughout the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Every year we tell ourselves we will finally get organized. Here are some ways that might actually help you or at least motivate you to think about staying organized for at least the first couple months of school.

• Get a calendar and hang it on your wall with important dates. 

Set a time once a month to update your calendar. Your calendar doesn’t have to just be a reminder for dates but it can also be a way to document your memories! After a whole year you can look back and remember what you did and who you did it with.

• Write sticky notes and keep them on your laptop.

The sticky notes app on your laptop can be very helpful when going from class to class and they allow you to always look at things you need to complete. If you have a lot going on, it can sometimes be overwhelming if you have multiple sticky notes. However, they can be a really useful tool to keep on top of assignments or due dates.

• Utilize your Outlook Calendar

If you’re involved in a variety of clubs and activities, Outlook Calendar can be helpful for you to set reminders and keep track of scheduling meetings. You can also color code your meetings so you have a visual of when events, meetings, and classes occur.

• Get an agenda book – if this works for you.

Personally, I always used to use an agenda in high school and then ditched the habit when I got to college. It might be because classes are so spread out in college, or there is so much going on in other areas of your life that you keep track of in another way (laptop sticky notes, etc.) If it works for you though, that’s great! It’s a convenient way to keep all of your calendar updates organized.

• Organize your google drive with folders for each course that you’re taking and color code them.

This is helpful if you have a lot of group projects to keep up with. Having folders for each of your classes and folders with group project materials can lessen the stress you have when going from project to project.

• Write out your schedule with your professors, class time, and room number and hang it up in your room.

Having a visual of what your week looks like and having information about your class times and room numbers will help you throughout the first couple of months to get accustomed to your schedule.

• Get a white board and make a checklist. 

If you have a white board that is hanging up in your room near your bed or desk, you are more likely to write on it and keep up. Plus everyone loves checking something off their list and feeling accomplished.

• Print out your syllabuses

Keep track of each of your class’s schedules so you won’t be behind on assignments. This can also help you get ahead on long term projects and encourage you to visit professors’ office hours.

• Make a list of what clubs and activities you are in and the times that they meet

This may sound like a crazy thing to do, but it can be really helpful as clubs schedule new meeting times and group meetings begin to flood your schedule.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.