This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Group projects are a STAPLE at Bentley, and unfortunately, this means there is a massive risk that you could end up with a group that does absolutely nothing to help. There is always one group member that does the bare minimum (if that) and just hopes you will carry them along. Here is what I do to try and mediate the situations and make do with these groups!

1. Make a group chat early

People are always busy and not always checking school emails. So as soon as the professor assigns the group, make a chat. College students are always on their phones (as evidenced by the fire that took out our Wi-Fi for a few hours and sent the whole campus into a frenzy). This way, you can communicate with your group easier.

2. Send reminders

Even if you have a good group, step up into a leadership role in the group so you can ensure that things are being done in a timely matter. If you are like me, you just want everything done and out of the way ASAP. Don’t be afraid to be a little bit annoying with text reminders to the group if they are being unresponsive or not helpful because that is on them, not you!

3. Be super friendly in the first group meeting

Try to create relationships with your team members in class that day, over text and in the meetings. People are more likely to show up and want to help out the team if they like the people in it. You can’t get through to everyone and that’s fine, but building relationships with team members is important for the quality of the work and for you!

4. Do your part on time

Try to lead by example and get your work done quickly so group members feel like they should do their part as well. Never hurts to send a text like “just finished!” so help push along the work.

ALSO don’t feel like any of this is your responsibility. Sometimes groups just aren’t good and there’s nothing you can do to change it but stepping up into a leadership role never hurts and can sometimes help.

Taylor White

Bentley '26

Hi everyone, my name's Taylor and I'm a sophomore at Bentley University majoring in Finance and an interest in minoring in Sustainability! I am originally from Canada but grew up on a tiny island called Bermuda which I now call home. I love swimming, the environment, my family and anything to do with music!