Foodie Friday: Ultimate Blueberry Muffins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Welcome back collegiettes! As we attempt to get back into the swing of things after spring break, we couldn’t help but dive into a classic and comforting recipe that we can enjoy all week long. What is more enjoyable than a buttery, sugary, bursting-with-blueberries muffin? Not much! Besides, berries remind us of warm weather and even though there is still snow on the ground here, spring is right around the corner! Or so they keep telling us.  Anyway, we are hoping this treat brings a little warmth to you and your friends while we wait for the sun shine to come around.

Enjoy!

Ultimate Blueberry Muffins

Adapted from The Family Kitchen

Muffin Mix

1 ½  cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

¼  tsp. salt

1/3 cup canola oil

1/2 cup milk

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

1 ½ cup fresh

Crumble Topping

5 tbsp butter

½ cup flour

1/3 cup brown sugar

½ tsp cinnamon

Walnuts (optional)

Directions:

1.      Preheat oven to 375F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

2.      In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

3.      Place the oil into a liquid measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to come to 1 cup.

4.      Stir it with a fork, then add to the dry ingredients and stir until almost combined.

5.      Add the berries and stir just until blended.

6.      To make the crumble topping, blend all the ingredients with a fork or your fingers until well combined and crumbly.

7.      Fill the prepared muffin tins with batter, then sprinkle with crumb topping; bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch.

Makes approx. 14 muffins.

Helpful hints:

· Crumb topping is optional but strongly suggested. Feel free to add in additional toppings such as chopped walnuts or almonds, oats, or granola.

· We only used 1 ½ cups of blueberries in this recipe but feel free to adjust that measurement depending on your own preferences.

· You can use fresh or frozen blueberries. If you are using frozen, remember not to thaw them.

Bentley University Class of 2014
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.