Foodie Friday: Super Bowl Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Hi, Collegiettes! Happy Friday and welcome to the first week of HC Bentley’s newest column, Foodie Friday!

Before we dive right into our latest recipe, we thought we would tell you a little bit more about us. We are two Bentley juniors who bonded over a mutual love of cooking, baking, and mostly, consuming food –particularly anything involving peanut butter.

We decided to take our love for chowing down to the next level and turn it into a weekly blog column. Each Friday, we will bring you our most recent venture into the kitchen with recipes ranging from cheap to healthy to indulgent. Some weeks we may feature meals based on a specific ingredient or style of cuisine, while other weeks we might make a festive treat for an upcoming holiday or weekend event.  Don’t worry if you aren’t exactly the next iron chef! We will always post pictures of the dish and describe how the average college girl can make it.

For our first week, we chose to share with you a recipe that is ideal for entertaining. The Super Bowl is right around the corner and whether you will be watching or not, it serves as a great excuse to invite your fellow Collegiettes over to indulge!

However, for our game-time grub, we wanted to veer away from the traditional chips and dip and try something a little bit more filling and, hopefully, a lot more fun. We decided on chicken wraps that are perfect for a big group of people who all want their food slightly different.

Our version is for “Crancado Chicken Wraps,” but the recipe can easily be altered to suit your own personal preferences!

[pagebreak]

“Crancado” Chicken Wraps

Makes: 4 servings

Total Estimated time: approx 25-30 minutes

Ingredients:

·         4 Tortilla Wraps

·         4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

·         Salt and Pepper

·         1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil

·         1 Cup Lettuce

·         1 Avocado

·         2 Tablespoons Dried Cranberries

·         2 Tablespoon Sliced Almonds

[pagebreak]

Directions:

1.    Evenly spread a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil onto a medium sized skillet. Set the burner to a medium heat. After a minute, add two of the chicken breasts to the pan (you don’t want to overcrowd the skillet!). Next, generously sprinkle salt and pepper on each side of the chicken as it cooks. Depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts, it should take about 20 minutes to brown each side. Repeat this process with remaining pieces of chicken. 

2. To prepare the toppings:

*Slice the avacado

*Chop the lettuce

*Measure out 2 tablespoons each of almonds and cranberries

Note: We already had whole almonds lying around the kitchen so we just chopping those instead of buying pre-sliced almonds!

3. Once the chicken has cooled a little bit, cut it into medium sized slices.

4. Assemble the wraps by adding the desired amount of chicken and toppings to the torillas.

5. Enjoy! XO

Helpful Hints:

·         If you are having a large group over, you can satisfy everyone’s taste buds by setting up a toppings bar. Get creative by putting out bowls of salsa, guacamole, cheese, jalapenos, fresh fruit, BBQ sauce, or anything else you can think of. Your guests will have fun making their own custom creations!

·         For a more speedy cooking process, you can buy pre-cooked slices of chicken that just need to be heated up.

·         We used Trader Joe’s flour tortillas made with whole wheat. They are delicious and only cost $1.99 for a pack of 10!

What are some of your favorite Super Bowl eats? Comment below! 

Bentley University Class of 2014
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.