Foodie Friday: Fruit Fanatic Kale Salad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Happy Friday, Collegiettes! We don’t know about you, but we have loved all of the new Her Campus articles this week featuring Self Magazine’s new Drop10 diet!

After our heavenly Spring Break indulgences and last week’s scrumptious breakfast casserole, it’s safe to say we were ready to lighten things up this week with a more nutritious meal. While we are definite supporters of treating ourselves, we also know moderation is the key to healthy, happy living!  Luckily, the HC ladies taking part in the “Lose the Freshman 15” challenge provided all the inspiration we needed for this fresh recipe.

This week, we wanted a simple, healthy meal that could easily be eaten on the go. With the semester winding down and finals quickly approaching, it has been hard to find time to sit down for a well-balanced meal. So, we let our creative juices flow, and came up with a portable dish that doesn’t skimp on flavor or nutrients—Fruit Fanatic Kale Salad.

It is packed with vitamin-rich Drop10 super foods, including kale, strawberries, blackberries, and raw nuts. Not to mention, its high fiber and protein contents are sure to leave you satisfied until your next meal.

This salad is the perfect dish to make over the weekend, because you can easily make a large batch. This way, you will have plenty of leftovers you can enjoy throughout the hectic week. We added one of our favorite side dishes, consisting of baked sweet potatoes, almond butter and cinnamon, to make a complete Sunday night dinner. But, this salad can easily be combined with grilled chicken or salmon, or even stand alone as a healthy snack to hold you over between meals!

Whether you’re participating in HC’s Lose the Freshman 15 Challenge, or you are just looking to take advantage of all of the fresh fruit this time of year has to offer, our Fruit Fanatic Kale Salad is sure to please!

Enjoy, Ladies! HCXO 

[pagebreak]

Fruit Fanatic Kale Salad

Inspired by How Sweet Eats

*This recipe is per serving.

2 cups chopped kale

2 large strawberries

¼ cup blackberries

½ medium size apple (we used xxxx)

½ cup chopped green beans

¼ cup sliced or chopped cucumber

¼ cup chopped carrots

1 tbsp chopped walnuts

1-2 tbsp Ken’s Light Options Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette

Optional Side Dish:

Melted Almond Sweet Potato

1 medium sized sweet potato

1 tbsp Almond Butter

1 tsp ground cinnamon

[pagebreak]

Directions

Fruit Fanatic Kale Salad

1. Wash the kale and place into a large sized bowl
  2. Slice or chop the strawberries, apple, cucumber, carrots, and green beans.
  3. Place prepared fruits and veggies on top of the kale in the bowl.
  4. Add the blackberries and walnuts.
  5. Add desired amount of dressing
  6. Mix it up and enjoy!

Melted Almond Sweet Potato (cooking time depends on size and quantity of potatoes)

1. Rinse potatoes and dry completely
  2. Use a clean knife or fork to poke holes around the sides of each potato
  3. Microwave on high for 5-10 minutes, checking after the first 5 minutes for a soft, squishy touch. You should be able to easily cut through the potato
  4. Use a fork to smash the inside of the potato and spread almond butter over top
  5. Finish with a sprinkle of cinnamon 

[pagebreak]

Helpful Hints:

• We used walnuts, but feel free to use your favorite type of nut! We considered using raw almonds and even pumpkin seeds.
  • This salad can easily be altered to include whatever fruit is in season – whether it is kiwi, blueberries, or pears.
  • For those of you trying to build lean muscle, add an extra punch of protein! May we suggest grilled chicken or salmon?
  • We made out salads in leftover take-out containers, so we could easily take the leftovers to class or work!
  • If you plan on bringing the salad to-go, do not add dressing until right before eating or it may get soggy. 

Bentley University Class of 2014
Bentley University