This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Not until recently have I realized the potential of CURLS! I’ve recently done so much research about curls and how to define the types of curls you have to begin with. You may be thinking I didn’t know there were certain classifications for curl types…me too! But luckily I’ve built a guide to help you define the curls you have, and how to transform them into the curls you’ve always desired.

Curl Classification types

Finding your curl pattern can be difficult, but I have listed a few key factors in starting off with defining your type.

1. Hair type Categories
  • Straight
  • Wavy
  • Curly
  • Coily
  • Kinky

2. Identify your curl pattern

• Wavy (type 2)
  • Curly (type 3)
  • Coily(type 4)

3. Identify the intensisity of your curls

Intensity of a curl is defined within a range from a-c. Now this is where the fun part starts in terms of defining the tightness of your curl hold. We’ve already determined that the higher the number, the curlier your hair is defined. However, along with a higher number, comes the tightness of the coil. This system is defined with A, B, and C, meaning A is considered a looser curl hold within the curl pattern you have identified.

Taking care of your curls

Wash

Although everyone’s hair type varies in terms of length, hair color, and hydration, it is important to note different techniques that will enhance your curls. Washing your curls can vary from person to person, being that someone with straight hair may not need to go through as long of a shower routine. Since moisture is key, those with curly hair will not need to wash their hair 5 days a week. In order to keep the products long lasting, it is best for curly haired girls to wash their hair 2-3 times a week.

A wash routine includes:

• Shampoo
    • Recommendations:
      • Sheamoisture Coconut & Hibiscus curl, shine
      • L.U.S Curly 3-step system
      • MoroccanOil curl enhancing shampoo
      • Curlsmith core strength shampoo
  • Conditioner
    • Recommendations:
      • Sheamoisture curl & shine conditioner
      • Carol’s Daughter conditioner fortifying, goddess strength
  • Leave-in Conditioner
    • Recommendations:
      • Ouai leave-in conditioner
      • Cantu leave-in conditioner
      • Olaplex number 5 bond maintenance conditioner

After-Care

When getting out of the shower, it is best to wrap your hair in a silk or satin material. I personally love to apply some leave-in conditioner when getting out of the shower, then using my silk towel wrap to let my hair absorb the product for at least 20-30 minutes.

With all of this in mind, I can definitely attest that following these steps will lead you to those healthy, bouncy curls you’ve always desired. I, for one, have learned the importance of making sure my hair care routine is top notch in order to prioritize my self-care.

Hi my name is Dariana! I am a Senior at Bentley this year with a major in Economics-Finance and a minor in IDCC. I am a member of the swim team here at Bentley, and a member of SAAC on campus. This year I am interested in building on my experience with writing and building a close circle of girls that share the same belief in empowering women! I love to write about anything under the sun that pertains to life advice. In my free time I love to travel, and since I am a BIG foodie, I love trying new foods anywhere I visit.