Erin Kelley, Assistant Director of First Year Areas at the Residential Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

This week I interviewed Erin Kelley, the AD for First Year Areas at the Residential Center. With hundreds of new freshmen on campus and back-to-school season well underway, we thought it would be nice to see what advice Erin has for us! Take a look below to find out about her experiences working in Res Life and her advice for having the best school year yet!

Her Campus Bentley: What is your favorite part about working in Residential Life at Bentley?

Erin Kelley: There are many aspects of the position that I love, but if I have to narrow it down, it is absolutely the students, staff and faculty that I work with at Bentley. I am constantly impressed with the students at Bentley, you all are so kind, smart and creative. You are much more than just “business students,” and each day I leave the office with a smile on my face because of the conversations and interactions that I have with students. Similarly, the faculty and staff at Bentley are a wonderful group of people to work alongside. It is a supportive environment that encourages professionals to challenge themselves while doing great work.

HCB: Why First Year Areas? What is your favorite part about working with new students/freshmen?

EK: My transition to living away at college was not easy at the beginning of my first year. As a member of the Residential Center team, I appreciate having the opportunity to try and create systems that will help first-year students transition throughout the entire year, first preparing for living at college through what they need to know as they move into their sophomore year. In addition to enjoying working with the first-years, I also love the first-year area team we have at Bentley. We have three excellent RDs and 40 fantastic RAs. They are a fun and dedicated bunch.

HCB: In working in the first year area, you must be asked for advice all of the time. What are some things that freshmen should focus on/get involved with during their first semester?

EK: My advice is to have fun and get to know people as much and as deeply as possible. Be willing to open up to others and share your thoughts, dreams and plans. Conversely, listen to others stories and what they have to share. I developed very deep bonds and friendships my first year of college, which still last to this day. It is fun to have people to grow up with and know that they will always have your back when you need it.

HCB: What was your favorite memory from your freshmen year of college?

EK: I went to college in a rural area, so my friends and I made up a lot of fun things to do to keep ourselves entertained. We pulled some epic pranks on one another, which were always hilarious and made for good stories. Afterwards, we would hang out and laugh over wings and start planning the next prank on another friend.

HCB: Any other advice for freshmen?

EK: If you need help, just ask! There are many support systems in place for you at Bentley and even if you take advantage of just a fraction of them you will be very successful. Utilize people like your RAs, RDs, FYS facilitators to get to know what is available to you.

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.