This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

We would all kill to have a kitchen on campus; sometimes dining hall food just doesn’t cut it. Unfortunately for most of us, we live the day-to-day struggle of having a microwave as our only kitchen appliance. I’m here to tell you that there’s still ways to cook up some delicious snacks using just that!

Quick Brownie

Do you have a late night sweet tooth? Chocolate is your go –to! If you don’t have the traditional brownie ingredients on hand (most of us don’t), keep just three essentials on hand to make a quick and tasty mug brownie! There are lots of variations of the recipes out there, just search Pinterest, but here’s my go-to! All you need is a microwave-safe bowl or mug, add 4 tablespoons of powered brownie mix to 2 tablespoons of water, and feel free to add any mix-ins like chocolate chips, or M&Ms, and then microwave anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute, until it looks cooked to your desire. You can also add a little bit of egg for a cakey-ier brownie! Check out the recipe here

Sittin’ by the fire while we eating fondue

Tis’ the season to stock up on post-holiday chocolates. You and your roommates can easily melt down anything from chocolate chips, to Hershey’s kisses in 30 second intervals in your microwave. Voila, you’ve created a chocolaty fondue perfect for dipping fruit, potato chips, Nilla wafers, Oreos, pretzels, or even more chocolate.

Nacho average nachos

Okay we might not be able to achieve restaurant status nachos in a kitchenette, but by tossing shredded cheese on Tostitos and tossing them in the microwave for 20 seconds or less, you’ll have the nachos that’ll satisfy your salty cravings.

Mug o’ Mac

It seems like we’re on a mug & microwave trend here. You don’t need a pot and stovetop to make some tasty mac. All you need is: 1/3 cup of pasta, 1/2 cup of water, 1/4 cup of milk, and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Microwave the water and pasta on high for 2 minutes, do this two more times until cooked, mixing every 2 minutes. Then stir in the milk and cheese, eat up! Check out the recipe here

Iron-grilled Sammie

Yup, it sounds almost barbaric, but you can use your iron to make a grilled cheese. Instead of letting your iron collect dust, put it to good use. Slip some cheese between two slices of bread, butter the outsides, wrap in foil and on a hard surface, iron the sandwich as if you’re grilling it. Find the recipe here

Eggs 4 Breakfast

When it’s too much effort to put clothes on to go to the dining hall for breakfast, make some quick eggs in the microwave! Simply scramble eggs in a microwave safe cup, cook for 45 seconds, remove and scramble, and add back in to cook longer if necessary. Add cheese or toppings to the finished egg!

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.