Day Trips: Discovering the Best of Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

One of the things that I love about Bentley is our location—we have our own community within Waltham, but we’re also so close to the city.  There’s always something happening on our campus, but sometimes you still need a break from the “Bentley bubble”.

So push your way to the front of that Harvard Square shuttle line and take the T into Boston to check out one of these great spots.

Newbury Street
This 8-block stretch has the best shopping in Boston.  Whether you want to drool over the bags at Marc Jacobs or Kate Spade, or pick up a cute and cheap top at H&M or the huge Forever 21, there is something for everyone.  Newbury Street’s mix of chains and one-of-a-kind boutiques that range from the high to low end provides a great variety. Although the street is a beautiful and easy walk, you can take a virtual tour or look through the list of stores before your trip so you’re sure not to miss anything.

Boston Common and the Public Garden

These two parks are adjacent to each other and both are gorgeous places to spend the afternoon. The Boston Common is the oldest city park in the country and has served as a campground for Revolutionary War soldiers, a site of witchcraft hangings, speeches by Martin Luther King Jr., and Vietnam War protests.  Needless to say, this is a great spot to bring lunch and people watch.  As the weather turns colder, the Frog Pond becomes an ice-skating rink.  Across Charles Street is the Public Garden, with a beautiful array of trees and plants as well as several famous statues. The Public Garden also hosts the famous Boston swan boats and “Make Way for Ducklings” statues.

The North End
Got a craving for Italian that your diet of Seasons’ pasta and Domino’s pizza just isn’t satisfying? It’s time for a visit to the North End of Boston. Walking down these streets simply couldn’t be more charming and the smells emitting from the doors of every restaurant couldn’t be more delicious.  There is an extensive collection of Italian restaurants, cafes, and bakeries—you can’t go wrong.  Eliminate any of your carb-guilt by taking a long walk around the cute gift shops after your meal.

Get Lost!
One of the things that makes Boston so special is that it is truly a perfect walking city.  So don’t be afraid to get off at a random T stop and flip a coin to choose a direction!  Sometimes getting lost is the best way to find a true hidden gem, and makes a great story. I had this experience on an adventure into Boston last winter, when getting off at the wrong T station turned a double date to the Prudential Center into a romantic walk down Commonwealth Avenue.  The majestic trees were hung with sparkling white lights and we ended up naming the statues ourselves because it was too dark to read the plaques—and it was one of my most memorable nights of college.  If you are set on reaching a specific location and share my lack of direction, you can map your trip easily if you plan on using public transportation.

So it’s your turn, collegiettes™. Go and explore Boston—and tell HerCampus about your favorite day trips or fabulous shopping finds!

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.