This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Over the summer of 2020, I had the amazing opportunity to work for a start-up company trying to do some good in the world. JusticeApp aims to close the gap in justice that exists for moderate income people in need of legal help. Often, those with low income qualify for free legal aid organizations and those with high incomes can pay for full-price lawyers, while those in the middle are left without assistance. The real problem is that while many lawyers are willing to offer reduced rates, there is a disconnect between them and the people who need their help. JusticeApp aims to make it easy for people in need of all types of legal assistance to find the help they are looking for. It allows the app user to filter legal listings by location, legal practice area, and price, and listings are constantly being added.

When I started working for JusticeApp, the app was essentially empty. Adding listings was what they needed me for! Here are some of the reasons I found the experience so rewarding:

1. It gave me the opportunity to search thousands of websites for information. Part of creating the listings was finding the addresses, phone numbers, emails, intake forms, and more. I quickly learned what types of website navigation make it easy to find information, as well as what color schemes, fonts, and other features make the website appealing. This is valuable information for a marketing major!

2. I got to create a portion of the app dedicated to helping the user understand various features. It was really fun to try to anticipate all the questions the user might have and answer them in FAQs!

3. Most importantly, I felt like I was making a difference with every listing I added. Just knowing that someone might call the number in the listing and find help made every second worth it. 

JusticeApp is now available in the app store (and it’s free!), although it still isn’t finished. There are a lot of really cool features that will allow both ordinary people and legal professionals to benefit from the app. In addition to being able to search for a lawyer, there are features for learning more about the law; securely uploading, storing, and sharing files with a lawyer; looking up a docket, court audio, or local bar association; filling out forms; and taking notes. Law firms can even submit their own listings to the app! I am so excited to see the impact that JusticeApp will have, and I am proud to have been a part of it. 

I am a senior at Bentley University with a major in marketing. I plan to go to law school after finishing my undergrad.