Campus Spots for Group Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Bentley is known for having classes that involve some sort of group work. You are bound to have at least one course that requires you to do some amount of group work at some point during the semester; whether it be a small team project, or a course like GB-320 in which the whole class is designed around group work and the project. HC Bentley decided to show you some places where you can go on campus to do group work and maybe actually get something done during your group meetings…

The Library:

I’m sure everyone knows that the library is the most ideal spot on campus to do group work. It is quiet, and there is a good amount of room to fit everyone in your group. If you are doing work that involves everyone’s input or editing of some sort, I would definitely recommend booking a study room with an LCD TV in it. The white boards are also useful for brainstorms and diagrams. But usually those rooms are booked first, so always try to book a room as far in advance as possible.

A Classroom in Jennison:

If you aren’t able to find a study room in the library, try Jennison. Sometimes there are rooms not occupied by classes during the day and there are usually more open at night. The rooms are definitely big enough to hold a group meeting and you can always use the projector to put any work up for everyone to see. Just keep in mind that you may have to move around if someone comes in the room that has first priority because of reservations. Also, don’t forget that Jennison does close at night so you can’t spend an all-nighter there.

A Classroom in Smith:

Again, if you aren’t able to find a study room in the library, try Smith. The classrooms are plenty large and are more open than the rooms in Jennison. You can also use the projector for group work which is very useful. At night, it is more likely that there will be more classrooms open and normally you can stay pretty late so you have a little more flexibility in regards to how long you can stay.

The Student Center:

When you walk into the Student Center (across from Harry’s Pub) you will find an area that has lot of chairs and couches with a couple of tables in the middle. This isn’t a terrible place to do group work or have a group meeting if you can’t find anywhere else to do your work. It may be a little more noisy  but if you go at the right time, there won’t be too many people coming in and out of the student center so you’ll still be able to get your work done.

Study Room in your Dorm:

If no one on your floor objects and the room isn’t occupied, then I would suggest doing group work in one of the study rooms in the dorms. Just make sure that there is enough room for all your group members to fit.

Einstein’s:

I would say that this would be somewhat of a last resort for choosing a place to do group work. I would recommend Einstein’s only if you were going to meet for a short amount of time, and if your group is small enough to fit at one of the tables. Make sure you plan your time accordingly so you don’t go when it is crowded and too noisy.

Now it’s your turn: where do you think is the best place to do group work on campus?

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.