The Bentley Guy’s Guide to Getting Out of the Friend Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

The “Friend Zone”: one of our worst fears and most dreaded realities. We’ve all been there, stuck trying to find our way out of being “just friends” and trying something new. It happens to guys, girls, young and old. We all try our best to guess the right approach with the right timing to make a move but the best way to get these answers is to go straight to the source.

So ladies, that’s exactly what I did. I interviewed four of Bentley’s finest guys, one from every year, and asked them, “How does a girl get out of the friend zone?” These four guys were eager and honest, I hope you take their advice wisely and enjoy hearing what they have to say!

Meet our freshman, Kenny Fee from New York.

HC: How would you get out of the friend zone?

KF: I’d start being a lot more flirtatious and ask her to hang out one on one.

HC: Define flirting. What would your next steps be?

KF: My type of flirting is sarcasm, a lot of smiling, even being goofy around her to let her know I’m comfortable. I would ask her on a friend date, probably dinner and a movie.

HC: What’s some advice you’d give to a girl trying to get out of the friend zone with you?

KF: Don’t be afraid to text me first or initiate a hang out. She shouldn’t be shy and should just come out and say it. 

[pagebreak]

Our sophomore source is Jarrod Dillon from the South Shore of Massachusetts.

JD: I’d find out a way to spend time alone with her, maybe do homework or get lunch. I wouldn’t initially ask her out on a date, I think it’s too upfront. I’d try to get to know her more.

HC: What advice would you give to girls trying to get out of the friend zone?

JD: Girls shouldn’t fall for the whole, the guy has to make the first move thing, it doesn’t exist anymore. Most of the time, if you’re that close with a guy, you’ll know if he’s feeling the same way or not.”

[pagebreak]

Next we have our junior, Matt Chaggaris from southern Massachusetts.

MC: Honestly, I’d limit communication with her to see if she’d notice or contact me.

HC: What if she did notice and asked what was going on?

MC: I’d confront being in the friend zone and if it went well, I’d ask her on a date. I wouldn’t be nervous because we’re already friends and it would help to know that she cared about us having less communication.

HC: What advice would you give to girls working on getting out of the friend zone?

MC: Tell me straight up definitely, it isn’t a one way street. Girls don’t have to wait for guys to ask them out or make the first move.

[pagebreak]

And last, but definitely not least, there is Jasper Grassa from the North Shore of Massachusetts.

JG: I’d be very obvious and wouldn’t leave a doubt in her mind. I’d be blunt, no beating around the bush.

JG: Just tell him how you’re feeling! Guys don’t find it creepy, so don’t be too nervous.

So here you have it ladies, the truth from the best source on the planet. Now you know, the next time one of your guy friends asks you to hang out alone or grab lunch, don’t hesitate to say yes! Don’t be shy if you like him back, let him know and give it a shot!  

Olivia is a senior at Bentley University studying Information Design and Corporate Communication. On campus, she is an Admission Fellow and Peer Facilitator for Bentley’s First Year Seminar program, as well as Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Bentley. In her spare time, Olivia enjoys reading, writing, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and going to Disney World (she’s obsessed).