This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Back-to-school season is fun yet stressful, exciting yet dreadful, and relieving yet worrying. It’s easy to get so caught up in all the craziness of the new school year that you forget to give yourself the time to breathe. During these moments, the power of self-talk can be super helpful, powerful, and rewarding. Give yourself a break from all the stressors of the back-to-school season by chanting these mantras!

“Go with the flow”

If you’re like me, then nothing feels better than having your day planned out to a T. I love knowing exactly what I’m going to do, when I’m going to do it, and how I’m going to do it. But life obviously isn’t always like this. There are days at college when you have a perfect day planned but then something like a forgotten assignment, a friend’s emergency, or an unexpected rainstorm can throw a wrench in your plans. In these cases, you just have to go with the flow and play things by ear instead of spending your whole day frustrated because things didn’t go as planned.

“It will get done”

My to-do list is always a record length during the school year. From homework to lunch dates to laundry, it always feels like there’s so much to do and not enough time to do it. During these moments, you have to take a step back, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that it will get done. It might not get done soon, but it will get done eventually.

“Life is not meant to be perfect”

Because of social media, it’s easy to look at a small portion of someone’s life and think it’s perfect. But then you might look at your life and all of its imperfections and get discouraged that your life is not as glamorous. When you find yourself in this rut of disappointment, remember that life is not meant to be perfect. We’re meant to have ups and downs, good days and bad days, and happy times and sad times – all of which we experience at school. You just have to roll with the punches and learn to not take it personally.

“You have the power to have a good day”

There are days at school where it feels like everything is pitted against you. You got assigned a really difficult Econ assignment, your group members for your group project are not pulling their weight, and the dining hall screwed up your lunch order. On these days, don’t forget that you have the power to have a good day. You still have the power to catch up with a friend, fit in a workout at the gym, or detox with a face mask and a movie. Accept the things that are not in your control and take advantage of the things that are.

“Remember who you are”

Back-to-school season is such a busy time of the year that it’s easy to start focusing on assignments and work while losing focus of your true values and priorities. When life is at its busiest moments, take a moment to remember who you are. You’re not just a college student, a Finance major, or an intern. You might be a sibling, an athlete, a musician, or a baker. Distance yourself from the busyness of the school year and remember who you really are and how you can enjoy these roles.

Use these mantras to help you get through any tough day at school! You can whisper them, scream them, write them down, or even just repeat them to yourself in your head when you really need it. At the end of the day, don’t forget that the new school year is a chance for new experiences. Take advantage of school, life, and the opportunities around you and you won’t be disappointed!

Hi everyone! My name is Banmai Huynh and I am from Chelmsford, MA. I'm a Corporate Finance and Accounting major at Bentley University in Waltham, MA and I’m the President of our Her Campus Chapter. I joined Her Campus because I think it's a great creative outlet for college students. I like writing about my personal experiences, opinions, and recommendations! Thanks for reading!