Andrew Shepardson, VP for Student Affairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

You see him all around campus, and now on Twitter (@DeanShepardson). But what does Dean Shepardson do on campus, and why does it seem like he’s everywhere at once? 

Her Campus Bentley: Why did you decide to work in Student Affairs?

Andrew Shepardson: It all started when I was a sophomore at St. Michael’s in Vermont.  My good friend Lisa suggested I apply to be an RA (she was already an RA).  I was hesitant but put the application in anyway.  When I went for the group process interview, I was hooked (although at the time I didn’t know it would be my career path).  During my junior year, I was an RA in the first year area and director of First Year Development’s work study student.  Overall, it was a great fit.  My senior year, I did a directed study with the Dean of Students.  After graduating and working in retail for a year, I decided higher education would be my career path.  I applied and was accepted to Northeastern for my Master’s, and it all went from there.

HCB: What’s the most rewarding part of your job? The most challenging? 

AS: Every week there is a meeting or moment with a student or student group that just reminds you of how great Bentley is and how outstanding Bentley students are.  There is nothing more rewarding than that!  On the challenging front, I am so lucky to have a phenomenal staff in the Division of Student Affairs.  They are outstanding, dedicated professionals with incredible ideas for making this an even better place.  The challenge is implementing every great idea with limited time and resources. I wish we could do everything, but we can’t and that is always a challenge.

HCB: What’s your favorite memory thus far as the VP of Student Affairs? 

AS: For me, Commencement Week is always a terrific memory.  First, you have the incredible organization and logistical work of the staff that lead the trip.  It is truly an amazing feat to transport that many students quickly and safely and ensure that they have a great time.  While I am sad to see students graduate and move on, it is great to have a chance to relax, spend time, and reminisce with them about their Bentley experience.  I particularly love seeing members of my First Year Seminar class and seeing how much they have grown since their first day at Bentley.

HCB: How are the plans for the Student Center expansion progressing? 

AS: Terrific!  We have a great plan and a great program in place.  I am thrilled that we have such incredible partners in the architectural firm, Perkins + Will; they really know their stuff.  I am very proud of the countless hours staff and students have spent making sure we get this right!

HCB: We see that you’ve joined Twitter recently! How is that going? 

AS: I love it.  It’s great to connect with students in a different way and reach out to them where they’re at.  I love when students come up to me and say they follow me.  I just need students to not be afraid to come up to me on #TweetUpTuesdays!

HCB: Give us some hints—anything new and exciting on the horizon for Bentley? 

AS: Well, as my Twitter followers already know, I am a huge Bentley hockey fan.  I could not be more excited for our appearance at Frozen Fenway.  I know it is during break, but I do hope to see as many students there as possible as well as at our first appearance at BU on December 14!

Olivia is a senior at Bentley University studying Information Design and Corporate Communication. On campus, she is an Admission Fellow and Peer Facilitator for Bentley’s First Year Seminar program, as well as Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Bentley. In her spare time, Olivia enjoys reading, writing, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and going to Disney World (she’s obsessed).