Alec MacGillivray: Bentley’s Very Own Country Music Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Name: Alec MacGillivray

Hometown: Humarock, MA

Alec MacGillivray is a senior here at Bentley- you may have previously seen this crazy character out on the football field or playing at open mic nights in the pub. Alec is now an aspiring musician and absolutely killing it! He has performed several times here on campus, including his opening act for Kellie Pickler and Glorianna on Spring Day 2014. Al has also opened shows for Keith Urban and Brett Eldridge, as well as his own shows throughout the Greater Boston Area. He currently has two songs on iTunes, “Can’t Escape the Radio” and “Wild and Crazy” (also available on Spotify). With a third song, “Sixteen,” coming out next month, it’s safe to say Alec is worthy of a Campus Celeb status!

Her Campus (HC): How did you get into writing/playing music?

Alec (Al): I started playing the guitar in middle school with my dad and then started a band with some of the guys in my neighborhood.  I’ve always associated the guitar with writing songs; it was just something that I started doing.  Whether it would be for a form of release for myself or just because, I liked the way it sounded.  It’s been a great way to express myself. 

HC: Who are some of your favorite musicians?

Al: I have a bizarre and eclectic group of influences.  As much as I love my country guys (George Strait, Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, etc.), I grew up on rock music: Aerosmith, Van Halen, Guns N Roses and all the classic bands I was crazy about when I first started playing the guitar.  I also love pop music and hip hop, so my influences stretch across many genres.  I think you can hear in my music the influences of the sounds I grew up on, which is exciting.

HC: What is your favorite thing about performing?

Al: By far my favorite thing about performing is connecting to fans.  Being on stage seeing everybody having an awesome time is the best feeling in the world.  People work all week and go through the everyday grind, but when they come to a show, that is their time to release. It’s my job to make them forget about everything else except having an awesome night.  It’s the best feeling in the world when you see people enjoying your show. 

HC: Do you have any advice for other aspiring musicians?

Al: My advice for aspiring musicians is just to chase your dream.  People may tell you that you can’t do something, but don’t let that ever get in your way.  If you want something, go get it!

HC: Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

Al: In five years, I see myself down in Nashville writing songs and touring as much as possible!

Alec has several upcoming shows in the greater Boston area, all of which are listed on his website:

www.alecmacmusic.com .

Take a break from the Business world and support our fellow Falcon on his road to fame!

Bentley University