This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

1. Save money on your books.

Don’t buy your books until you go to the class because some professors don’t require the book or you could get away with sharing the book with your friends. Also sites like Chegg and Amazon are way cheaper than the Bookstore. That being said the GB book and math books are exclusive to Bentley so you won’t find them on those sites. Both are available in an etext version that you get when purchasing the online component so save yourself some money and don’t buy these HUGE books unless you really find it necessary.

2. Professors matter and so do class times.

If you sign up for an 8 am and you are not a morning person, the chances of you getting to class or staying awake in class are slim. Take advantage of the add/drop period. People constantly change their classes during this time so it is possible a seat will open up. Also look at ratemyprofessors to see what past students have to say. If the professor has awful ratings, drop and drop fast.

3. You spend A LOT of money.

Male or female, you spend a ton of money, first semester especially. Your friends will want to order food or go shopping in Boston and you will not be able to resist. Don’t be fooled, get a summer job while you can or start budgeting now.

4. Go to the library to study or somewhere equivalent.

This may seem obvious, but if you are like most freshman you’ll get major FOMO and try to study in the dorms which is not possible. If you don’t believe me, try and study with loud music bumping at all hours of the day and millions of people coming in and out of your room and you will understand what I am saying.

(Also, the doors between Einsteins and the library are push not pull doors… just to save you some future embarrassment)

5. Learn how to cook popcorn and do your own laundry.

Don’t be the person who sets off the fire alarm in the middle of the night because you can’t cook popcorn. Likewise don’t be the kid who turns all their whites pink because they don’t know how to do laundry.

6. There is a lot of things that college packing lists don’t tell you to bring.

You should bring a towel/blanket for lounging on the green space which you will inevitably do. You don’t want to use your bedding or shower towels on the grass and the mud. You should bring random themed clothes for themed parties. Beach themed, flannels, stuff for Halloween, you name it. It is also worth it to invest in a phone case that holds your I.D. If you’re confident you won’t lose it than forego this advice, but if you’re someone who would lose their head if it weren’t attached to you, it is worth the money. Every time you lose you I.D. the fee for replacing it increases.

(ALSO lanyards are not a good look, this will automatically identify you as a freshman)

7. Check your mailbox

You don’t get notified when you get mail like you do when you get a package so most freshmen never check their mailbox plus it is not that easy to open. You can get away with not checking it, but if you visit the health center they send your bill to your school mailbox so it’s important you check it.