Abroad: Pros and Cons of a Homestay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

While some Bentley University study abroad programs require you to participate in a homestay (i.e. Florence), some give you the option (i.e. Barcelona).  It’s only fair that you have the facts before making any final decisions, so here are the ups and downs that I experienced last semester.

PROS:

·         Culture: Since you’re not only living with other American students you really get to experience how the people of your country actually live.  It’s amazing to see the differences in cultures that you can’t see from just walking around the city.

·         Food: Not only do you save money by not eating out every day, but you don’t have to cook for the food that you already know how to make from living in America.  You get the opportunity to eat home cooked meals specific to your host country.

·         Family: While at a homestay you are a part of a family.  If you are homesick or physically sick there is that homey feeling of having someone to take care of you.  If it comes to the point where you need medical attention you have someone to point you in the right direction and help you communicate with doctors or pharmacists if you are in a non-English speaking country.

·         Language: If your host country doesn’t speak English, you learn the language much faster by being forced to use it.  Even if your host family speaks English they will try to help you learn the language making it much easier to communicate around the city and with other locals.

CONS:

·         Curfew: Not all countries or families have an enforced curfew, but you do need to respect the family’s rules, which in some cases means having a curfew.  It can be tough from going to Bentley where you don’t have anyone checking up on you to having a family waiting up for you.

·         Visitors: While traveling to visit friends that have apartments you can often stay with them, but it’s unfortunate that you cannot always repay the favor.  In some cases the family will allow guests, but often time they charge a fee or about €25 per night.

·         Friends:  Some families allow guests to come over to hang out, while others do not.  That being said it can be hard adjusting from dorm style living where all of your friends are “pre-gaming” and getting ready to go out together to only being with your one or two roommates. 

·         Behavior: Speaking of going out, keep in mind that you are staying with a family; you are not on your own in your dorm room anymore.  While of course you are supposed to go out and have fun, you need to be respectful and not get too out of hand. 

Bentley University