Wellness > Health

8 Ways To Feel Better When You’ve Been Sick Way Longer Than You Should

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

At this point in the semester, just about everyone on campus has been sick at least once. My roommate was sick for one week, then got better and was healthy for a minute, then caught something else and was sick again for another five days. I had the great fortunate of catching (possibly) whatever illness my roommate was carrying, but I have been extremely sick for five weeks straight. I’ve tested negative multiple times for covid, the flu, strep, pneumonia – you name it, I have medical proof I don’t have it. But whatever name this mysterious disease goes by, I just can’t seem to kick it. So, if you too find yourself struggling to feel better, I’ve become an expert in finding ways to get some relief (even if it’s only temporary) from a wide variety of symptoms. Here are some ways you can make yourself feel better from the comfort of your dorm room when you’re under the weather. Lord knows I’ve sure had enough experience not feeling well to be qualified to write this.

1. Blow your nose – Yes, we are starting off candid and graphicly – so get ready. When you are really sick, your nose gets runny and you cough up mucus because your body has junk inside of it that it’s trying to get out. Don’t fight it! Help yourself out and clear out your breathing passages as best you can. Not only will this help you get better faster, but you will also experience temporary relief and a pressure release in your head.
  2. Drink liquids – Don’t you dare roll your eyes. Obviously telling a sick person to consume as much fluid as possible is beating a dead horse, but that doesn’t make it any less accurate. Putting enough water in your body helps to flush out toxins and keeps you hydrated while your immune system works hard to get you back in fighting shape. Liquids such as Gatorade and orange juice also contain electrolytes and vitamin C, which can help your body fight off sickness more quickly.
  3. Take supplements for zinc, vitamin C, and vitamin D – All of these vitamins support your immune system and help you get better more quickly. If you’re not sick but people around you are, taking these vitamins can also help prevent you from getting sick. We get these resources naturally in our diets, but when your body has come in contact with a lot of harmful germs, you won’t regret getting an extra boost.
  4. Get enough sleep – With exams, distracting roommates, social events, and the need to scroll through Tik Tok for a minimum of four hours per night, getting a good night’s sleep in college can be difficult. However, if you are sick or feel like you’re going to become sick, you need to make quality sleep happen one way or another – no excuses.
  5. Enjoy a steaming bowl of soup – When you’re sick, nothing tastes better than a piping hot bowl of chicken noodle soup. Soup is a great meal for people who aren’t feeling well because the steam can help clear out your sinuses when you’re congested. It is warm and liquid, which can be soothing on a sore throat. Soup is a light meal that is easy on the stomach, so it’s perfect if your belly feels uneasy but you still need to eat something. Overall, a good bowl of soup is downright medicinal.
  6. Make yourself a cup of hot tea – Even if you’re not a member of society’s elite group of daily tea drinkers, you should still consider adding at least one cup of tea to your daily routine when you’re sick. Again, the steam from the tea can help to clear up any congestion you’re experiencing. Add a generous spoonful of honey to your tea to soothe a sore throat. Many teas (especially green tea) contain antioxidants, which can help to rid your body of any bad germs making you sick. When drafting a team to make your body healthy, tea should be in the starting lineup.
  7. Take a hot shower or bath – If you’re congested, steam is your friend, and a hot bath or shower will produce more than enough to get the job done. Additionally, if you’re suffering from aches and pains as a result of your illness (my ribs KILL with soreness and are tender after five weeks of coughing fits) the heat may help to relax those muscles.
  8. If you are not getting better after two weeks, go see a doctor – In theory, any cold or mild illness should resolve itself in about two weeks. If you aren’t getting better after around fourteen days of symptoms, you should see a doctor to make sure you aren’t suffering from a more serious illness that may require prescription medicine to treat.
I am a senior at Bentley University studying Corporate Finance and Accounting. I am a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority and campus correspondent for Bentley's chapter of HerCampus. I also work as an intern at an accounting firm! When I’m not writing articles for HerCampus, you can find me in line at Dunkin’.