6 Things All Former Ice Cream Shop Workers Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

1. Kids who come in and want to try Every. Single. Sample…

“SPOILER ALERT, BRIDGETT! IT TASTES LIKE CHOCOLATE.”

2. When a whole bus of summer campers arrive…

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love kids, but when 26 summer campers all come to the window shouting their orders at once while the counselors are on their phones playing Candy Crush, it makes me think that doctors and nurses don’t actually need to teach about birth control at all. All they have to do is just have their patients get a job scooping ice cream for one summer and the whole world’s problems will be solved. (Currently having PTSD while typing this…)

3. Having your tip jar money gets stolen while your back is turned…

“No, no please take my tips! I make far too much money! I get it, eighth grade is so expensive!”

4. When they complain about the prices after they’ve already ordered…

What I’m genuinely curious about is how many times complaining about prices to a server or retailer in the United States has ever actually worked, with perhaps the exception of purchasing a car. Listen lady, this isn’t downtown Mexico City I’m not here to haggle with you and I know this may come as a shock, but most bosses don’t give 16 year olds the ability to set prices. Take your “ridiculously overpriced” milkshake and move it on out. Please. 

5. Getting sticky-ness over your hands and arms…

Nothing quite like showing up to your friend’s house after work with some remnants of today’s Flavor of the Day still stuck on your elbow. How unbelievably charming we are! 

6. When a customer asks for an outrageously complicated order…

Thankfully, this one didn’t happen too often, but when it did I always had to cry internally for those poor Starbucks workers who must get this every other customer, every single shift. So next time you’re thinking of ordering an ice cream sundae, hold the whip, chocolate sauce on the side, rainbow and chocolate sprinkles instead of nuts, and oh-by-the-way made with three scoops of all different flavors…please, for the love of God, just drive to Shaws. 

Photo sources:

http://s2.favim.com/610/141011/ashley-olsen-black-and-white-food-funny-F…

Bentley senior majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications with a minor in Entrepreneurial Studies. Chapter President for HCB. Third Door Media intern. Karate aficionado. Shonda Rhimes super fan.