5 Obscure But Crucial Steps to Add to Your Daily Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

If you’re anything like me, your New Year’s resolution was about getting your life together in any sense of the phrase. Don’t get me wrong, I am not as messy of a person as that introduction makes me seem. However, I wanted to implement a daily routine or schedule, or at least tweak the one I already had to improve my productivity. While doing this, however, I realized many things were missing in my routine that deserved as much of a spot as other activities. Though less crucial than saving time for activities like studying, meals, or exercise, adding these to my schedule helped me improve in several areas of my life. So, to make sure you get the best out of your plans, here are a couple of things you should add to your schedule/routine that you may need to remember about including!

Stretch

If you work out often, this is probably not an item your daily routine lacks, but it is still important to emphasize the need for stretching even if you’re not heading for the gym. Stretching can come in various methods, such as pulling your way out of the comfort of your bed or the typical pre-workout stretch. It can also be a great way to relax in the morning if a stressful day faces you or you can’t seem to reach that level of calm before bed. Not to mention, stretching is one of the healthiest things you can do for your muscles. So why not do it every day?

Sunblock

This one might seem obvious to some but utterly irrelevant to others. I am here, however, to encourage you to wear sunblock no matter the weather. UV rays don’t go away in cloudy/rainy weather, so it is always better to play it safe and risk exposure to them, no matter the level. And no, with this step, I am not talking about SPF foundations or other sunlight-resistant makeup but actual sunscreen/sunblock on your face. Though some foundations can cover up, you’re still not 100% safe from UV rays. Also, sunscreen can benefit your skincare routine depending on which brand you get, so it’s a win-win situation!

Declutter

Is your desk still a mess from when you studied the entire night? Do you still have to fix your closet after picking out an outfit when running late? Or you may have 198 unopened emails you still need to read through. Whatever area of your life needs some form of decluttering, save time throughout the day to clean up! Not only will it help you stay organized, but it’s also an excellent way to unwind and calm down during the day, especially if it’s been hectic. Of course, this can apply to anything: whether you need to declutter something physical like your desk or bookbag or online like your camera roll or social media following. Organizing things one by one is essential for your routine because it will allow you to be more organized in your day-to-day life, so get cleaning!

Practice Gratitude

With how fast life seems to move, we often fail to remember the good things we’ve either received or done for others. Or in other instances, something terrible happens, and we forget about all the good we may have experienced throughout that day despite the difficulty. Whatever the situation, having some time off the day to be thankful for all the good in your life is something I cannot recommend enough. You can keep a journal and write down what you’re grateful for in the day, keep a note on your notes app, or reflect on it mentally. Then, in whatever way you practice this gratitude, celebrate all the big and small wins of the day! It will be a significant mood boost, and it’s always nice to celebrate good things happening.

No Tech Time

Don’t roll your eyes just yet! You probably hear this often, but I promise it’s worth implementing. Whether it’s a standard 30 minutes to an hour or even the time limit you believe is reasonable, spending a certain amount of time without depending on technology for survival will help you in the long run. Besides, there are so many activities you can do without the use of your screens. And if you feel like there isn’t any activity where you’re not using your phone or laptop, use the time to relax, whether through a nap or just a time to reflect.

I am currently a senior at Bentley University majoring in Marketing. When I'm not busy with that, I like listening to music, traveling, drawing, playing video games, cooking, and reading! I'm also your friendly neighborhood Nicaraguan.