5 Must-Have Items to Stay Warm in this Frigid Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Here in the northeast, we’ve entered one of the most frustrating times of year: the awkward time where winter seems to drag on and spring seems like an eternity away.  Our favorite retailers are advertising their new Spring Lookbooks like it’s about to be 80 degrees out – but if you look outside (or on your phone’s weather app), it’s clear that spring is nowhere near.  With at least another month of icy mornings, frozen fingers, and cold-weather outfit dilemmas, I figured it’s just the right time to share five not-so-secret ways to stay both extra warm and on trend in the coming chilly days.  Take a look below at some garments every smart fashionista should have in their northeastern winter wardrobe.  Perhaps you’ve already invested in a few.  If so, you’re a smart fashionista in my book!

Fleece-Lined Leggings 

Leggings are necessary in any wardrobe for those lazy Saturday mornings and long hours spent sitting in the library.  Swap out your cotton pair for a quality pair of fleece-lined leggings and your legs are sure to feel noticeably warmer.

[pagebreak]

Body suit

If you’re anything like me, you prepare for being in the cold by piling on tanks, tees and long sleeves before actually putting on the day’s outfit.  Swap out one or two of those unnecessary layers by putting on a body suit underneath a dress, sweater, or long sleeve.  The snugness holds tight to your body giving comfort and the overall coverage ensures that cold air won’t come near you.  Side note: a body suit looks great paired under high-wasted jeans, shorts, or skirt.

[pagebreak]

Knee-high socks

Next time you put on a pair of leggings (fleece-lined, I hope!) or tights, put a pair of knee-high socks over.  They add extra warmth to your feet and lower leg and allow to you to wear even the sheerest of tights in cold temperatures.  Plus, they look great peeking out of knee-high boots and add an extra pop of color and texture to any outfit.

[pagebreak]

Gloves and Mittens

One thing we all know for sure: keeping your hands warm while walking through cold weather is a must.  You can be wearing the warmest of outfits but if your fingers are freezing, your whole body is cold.  Fashionable gloves and mittens are a great way to spice up an outfit, add an edge to an otherwise simple outfit.  They’re simple and classic and keep your hands insulated from biting temperatures.  

[pagebreak]

Wool blazer

As a Bentley student myself, I understand the common need to dress to impress both fashionably and professionally.  A blazer is the perfect versatile piece because it classes up a jeans and t-shirt outfit and also makes an interview ensemble pop.  With temperatures in the single digits, try swapping out your lightweight blazer for a wool one.  It’ll pair perfectly with all outfits while adding much-needed extra warmth…a perfect winter wardrobe staple.

Born and raised in Boise, Idaho, I currently reside outside of Boston where I attend Bentley University. am a sophomore studying marketing and public relations. I enjoy blog writing and am contributing writer for Her Campus as well as co-editor and contributing writer of a Bentley University campus fashion blog. I am passionate about fashion and the apparel industry as well as print media.
Bentley University