5 Dance/Song Crazes That Need To Go Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Gangnam Style

Well, besides him screaming at a young lady’s behind – Gangnam Style is just no. I tried getting into it, I really did! But when I saw 80 year old women dancing to it, I knew it’s time had come and gone. I mean seriously, I have been dancing like this for years. I used to refer to it as the “white-girl-can’t-dance dance,” but Gangnam Style works too. Got to give Psy credit, though, for coming out of complete obscurity and managing to get over 1 billion (yes I said billion, sucks Justin Bieber) views. So yeah, if you ever feel like dancing like a horse always remember – Dress classy and dance cheesy!

[pagebreak]

Harlem Shake

Thank you, Grumpy Cat. I could not have said it better myself. Just stop, people. It isn’t really funny, it expired a week ago, and yet people are still trying. Okay, I know Bentley University just did one to get Daniel Tosh of Tosh.o to come to our school. However, I still think it’s overdone. Think about it. This is the dance: one random dude is just awkwardly dancing with some bizarre article of clothing on (be it a helmet or just boxers or whatever) and everyone is just watching him. They just sit there and watch him make a fool of himself. Oh but w

ait – then the singer says – in a weird robotic voice – DO THE HARLEM SHAKE. (What if I don’t want to, have you ever thought of that? Don’t tell me how to live my life!) And then BAM everyone goes crazy. Dinosaurs come out of extinction or wherever they peaced out to, people do the usual pseudo sexual references, it’s just a mess. So, from the bottom of my heart, if I see another one pop up when it really shouldn’t I will explode. Please, NO MORE HARLEM SHAKE!

The Bernie

The fact that I even need to say that this needs to stop/go away really bothers me. I don’t know where it started and, quite frankly, I don’t care. All I can ask is why – why does this exist? Like the Harlem Shake, step back and look at this for what it really is. I don’t even have words to describe this. (Actually, I do, but none of them are very nice.) I totally get it; dancing is all about just having fun and relaxing. But this is just taking it to a whole other dimension – a dimension where it doesn’t need to be taken. You’re telling me that bending backwards to the point of falling on your butt and “swaying” is fun? Please count me out.

[pagebreak]

Cat Daddy

Chris Brown’s involvement in this should already throw red flags up. Do not even give me “yo Kate Upton (link NSFW) did it.” No, stop. I don’t care if Ryan Gosling does it without a shirt on covered in chocolate sauce. It is dumb. Okay, I admit it. I just hate this one because I really wish I could do it. Seriously. But it should still stop because I hate going to parties and seeing girls getting attention for doing this.

The Dougie

Again, Chris Brown – this means no. The Dougie is just… I don’t know. No, I’m serious. I literally do not know. I don’t know how to do it. The song is fun, but the only part I know how to do is when you brush your hair back. I’m not flaking like I did last time. I just hate this dance. It is so complicated and there is no video that actually shows you how to do it. 

Bentley University