This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

With starting a new year, everyone always wants to have new goals. Compared to my friends, I am an avid reader, and they all want to start reading more. I have given many book suggestions, and with inspiration from them to write this, here are some reads that made my life different in any which way (listed in no particular order!).

1. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson. I read this book over the winter break, just to get a different perspective on life, and boy I was not disappointed. People see me as a generally happy person, but now I am happy in a more carefree way. Reading this will teach you to let go and you focus on the important things. You have to care about some things, you just need to choose what in your life deserves your attention. After reading this, I developed a new set of rules to live by.
  2. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green. My all time favorite author, and this book hit me different. I am definitely a germaphobe, even before Covid, but I never felt like my friends understood the extent of my caution around germs. I told a few to read a certain set of pages when they would talk to me about it, and they understood where I was coming from with my actions. They got the gist of who I was, and I felt better that I would not be seen as a freak by them. This book made me felt like I was not alone, even though the characters are not real. Germaphobe or not, still a good read with a plot to keep you reading.
  3. Friday Night Lights by H. G. Bissinger. Recommended for any sports fan, or for a good pre-read before tuning into the popular TV show if you do not understand the game. If you watched Cheer on Netflix, this book has a similar style to following the characters and explaining the sport. Without spoiling, the ending is great after following the team throughout the season and you see the ups and downs of the sports world down South. I got a different outlook on the intensity behind the games and gained a different appreciation for the players I watch.
  4. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. Out of all the “classics,” this is one I didn’t have to read for any school and I was obsessed. Maybe it’s because I grew up around private boarding schools and went for high school so I knew many Holden Caulfields, but I loved everything in this story. Seeing the people getting into trouble at my high school and having to suffer consequences just reminded me of this book. I saw the random people as more complex individuals, and that everyone has a reason behind their actions.
  5. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie. A short read, but quite unlike the kids movie. I thought the background to the story was just people making it up, but nope. It was always hard for me to watch the movie, moreso because I do not want to grow up, and this book did not help that situation. With the intro to the story, you see the movie completely different. Still worth the read, just expect some deeper thought compared to watching the movie as a kid.
Hi! I'm a current sophomore at Bentley and I am majoring in marketing. I love Gilmore Girls, self-care/wellness, dogs, and so much more :)