4 Easy Outfits to Ease your Midterm Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

We may be less than a week away from a much-awaited 10 days of relaxation (aka spring break) but with that, we’re even closer to that dreaded week we all know and don’t really love: midterms.  The lines at Einstein’s are overflowing with overworked students in need of a “darn hot” cup of coffee and if you don’t reach the 2nd floor of the library before noon, your hopes of hiding away in a cubicle are shattered.  With the semi-annual stress slowly building, there’s no denying that our attention to outfit details is doing just the opposite – quickly declining. 

In light of the upcoming exam-stress, I’ve compiled four easy and comfortable outfits to help minimize some of the typical, overwhelming pressure because, let’s face it, who really takes the time to coordinate outfits when alarms are ringing before even the sun has risen?  Below are four outfits that’ll keep you feeling comfortable, looking fashionable, and won’t require any of those full-body mirror second-looks.

1)    Loose-fitting patterned pants are comfortable for those endless hours of sitting in front of a computer screen.  Pair them with a trendy cut-out sweater and easy ballet flats for a put-together ensemble.  Add an infinity scarf for warmth (the library is freezing!) and dab some color on your lips and you’re ready to go – no extra effort needed.

2)    Workout wear is perfect for those days where you want to be comfortable but still look good.  There’s something about that spandex-y material that just screams confidence and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to wear your color-blocked leggings and workout tank to class.  Try pairing your active ensemble with trendy pieces (denim jacket, leather boots, and a colored head wrap) and your original gym-appropriate outfit suddenly looks fashionable and unique.

3)    If the sweats you’ve been sleeping in since you last did laundry are beginning to look like the latest fashion statement, they actually could be.  The contrast between faded cotton sweats and a crisp black blazer, when paired with the right mix of bold patterns and subtle accessories, works in an unexpected done-up way. The oxfords and colored satchel add an extra collegiate class and I can’t think of a more comfortable outfit to pass my study days in

4)    The sweatshirt-jeans combo is a classic favorite yet there’s so many ways to twist and make it fresh and inspired.  Pop a color underneath the sweatshirt to add a feeling of freshness (I love the light wash denim collar paired with darker wash pants) and try mixing trendy and vintage with a pastel leather tote and old-school low-top converse.  The contrast looks great and revamps an old outfit favorite.

The next time you wake up wanting to put Uggs on over your silk pajama pants and sprint to a study room and avoid all personal contact, remember these tips.  Dressing for comfort and fashion may seem like a contradiction but if you mix the right amount of the two, you can do it easily…no second-looks required. 

Born and raised in Boise, Idaho, I currently reside outside of Boston where I attend Bentley University. am a sophomore studying marketing and public relations. I enjoy blog writing and am contributing writer for Her Campus as well as co-editor and contributing writer of a Bentley University campus fashion blog. I am passionate about fashion and the apparel industry as well as print media.
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.