girl in blue jacket and skis smiling
girl in blue jacket and skis smiling
Isabelle Wright
Wellness > Health

2020-2021 Ski and Snowboard Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Whether you are a skier or a snowboarder, I think we can all agree that none of us want this season to be cut due to the pandemic. If you look at the sports from a distance, they are two of the few activities that can be done safely during the time of COVID-19. Both activities can be done independently, or socially distanced. It is easy to wear a mask, as many people already choose to wear face masks or neck warmers pulled up over their mouth and nose to keep warm while on the slopes. There is little interaction with people outside of the party one has traveled to the mountain with, and it is easy to ensure that it stays that way this winter. 

This year may look a bit different than prior years, but the small changes are only to keep everyone safe. The next few paragraphs will describe some of the changes seen at mountains in the northeast. 

1. Many of the resorts are requiring people to make reservations to ski or board ahead of time. Doing this ensures they will be operating at the limited capacity percentages the individual mountains decided on. Reservations can be made anytime and for anytime throughout the 2020-2021 season. This includes buying lift tickets ahead of time. Similarly, resorts like Killington in Vermont are doing parking reservations. They are assigning places to park and are only allowing a certain number of vehicles into their resort to stay in capacity restrictions. 

2. Most, if not all, resorts have either tried eliminating indoor lodges or are keeping them at a very limited capacity. They are encouraging everyone to get gear on and take off at their prospective vehicles. In doing this, they are hoping to decrease the likelihood of passing COVID to others. While most dining options are still available, once again, they are encouraging people to eat in their cars. Some resorts have created outdoor dining options as well. 

3. In terms of the mountain itself, the big requirement is that your mouth and nose must be covered. In addition to this, riding up on the lifts consist of riding only with your party/group. Because of this, expect longer lines as single riders will be getting their own chair as well as couples alone on quads instead of two couples on the quad. 

4. Lastly, all resorts are requiring visitors to check and follow all state guidelines before arriving. Each state is different, but make sure to check ahead of time or you may be at risk of losing your ticket if guidelines are not followed!

While some of these rules may be more difficult to follow than others, I promise it can be done, and is worth it. Don’t forget to try on your gear before you go, rent equipment if necessary, and of course, make your ski and snowboard reservations at your favorite mountains before they hit capacity. 

Think snow!!

Amanda Carlino Freshman at Bentley University Major: Undecided, but leaning towards Marketing Hobbies: anything and everything outdoor... hiking, skiing, kayaking, you name it!