2012 CMA Award Nominations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

To all our country fans out there, the CMA Awards are on November 1st and the CMA nominations were just announced! IS ANYONE ELSE FREAKING OUT?? I picked out a few of my personal picks that I’m hoping (PRAYING) will turn out to be winners. While all of the nominations should be honored for their immense achievements, here are who I am rooting to take home the prize!

“Entertainer of the Year” Nominees:

Jason Aldean
Kenny Chesney
Brad Paisley
Blake Shelton
Taylor Swift

My pick: Jason Aldean

This was Jason’s year! After going on a two year tour off of his “My Kinda Party” album, and the fact that his new record comes out in mid-October, Jason is sure to be the person to beat for this nomination. After recently winning multiple awards from the Billboard Music Awards, CMT Music Awards, and American Country Awards it only seems fit that he takes home the most coveted prize from the CMAs. Also, Aldean’s duet hit with my favorite American Idol Kelly Clarkson, “Don’t You Want To Stay” is pure GOLD, they need to win an award for just being the best country duo… right now.

Here is Jason’s Music Video for “She’s Country”:

[pagebreak]

“Female Vocalist of the Year” Nominees:

Kelly Clarkson
Miranda Lambert
Martina McBride
Taylor Swift
Carrie Underwood

My pick: Miranda Lambert

Miranda is still soaring off of the success of her fourth album, “Four the Record” and her “On Fire” tour. No other female artist can make the seamless transitions between slow, heartfelt songs (“Over you”, “Miss Ohio”) to the feisty, don’t-mess-with-me tracks (“Fastest Girl in Town”, “Baggage Claim”). She has one of the most powerful voices in country music and has the stage presence to bring any audience to their feet. Miranda is a true grit country girl who is my personal favorite, she puts passion into every song she sings and is a rare artist as she finds absolutely nothing wrong with portraying her genuine and honest attitude in her lyrics.

Here is Miranda’s emotional music video for “Over You”:

[pagebreak]

“Male Vocalist of the Year” Nominees:

Jason Aldean
Luke Bryan
Eric Church
Blake Shelton
Keith Urban

My Pick: Luke Bryan

Besides having probably the best smile that country music has ever seen (I mean that should be taken into consideration, right?) Luke Bryan had immense success in the past year with his album “Tailgates & Tanlines” which went Platinum in the US. His album was a summer anthem with feel good tunes that make you want to sing out loud with your windows open. While Luke isn’t a veteran in the country world like the rest of the nominations, everyone loves an underdog and Luke has more than proved that there is much more to come from him in the future. Oh, and did you SEE his performance of “Drunk on You” at the CMT awards?! His dance moves made us SWOON. (Definitely should also be taken into consideration, duh.)

Here is Luke Bryan performing at the CMT Awards (Check out his hip swinging at 3:05. Swooooonnnnn.)

[pagebreak]

“Vocal Group of the Year” Nominees

The Band Perry
Eli Young Band
Lady Antebellum
Little Big Town
Zac Brown Band

My Pick: Lady Antebellum

Last year Lady Antebellum released their amazing album, “Own the Night” which topped the country charts for an astounding 13 weeks and is their second number one album. Lady Antebellum touched every emotion in this album, with songs of past loves (“Dancin’ Away With My Heart”, “We Owned The Night”), heartbreaks (“Wanted You More”), and then to feel-good melodies (“Friday Night”, “Just a Kiss”). Lady Antebellum has been EVERYWHERE lately and have been getting the recognition they deserve, now all I’m rooting for is a CMA WIN PLEASE!

Here is Lady Antebellum’s music video for “We Owned the Night”

What are your CMA picks? Share below!

*Image source: blogs.tennesean.com

Bentley University Class of 2013. Marketing Major.