19 Lessons From Dr. Seuss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Dr. Seuss is notorious for his catchy phrases and witty children’s books, but many times collegietes forget the important lessons that can be learned from the man who wrote Green Eggs and Ham! College is hard and so life, but Dr. Seuss has a beautiful way of looking at it. Here are some of his famous ideologies that will be sure to change your life!

1. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the one who’ll decide where to go!

2. Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.

3. It is better to know how to learn than to know.

4. We are all a little weird, and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

5. Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.

6. The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.

7. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.

8. If things start happening, don’t worry, don’t stew, just go right along and you’ll start happening too.

9. So be sure when you step, step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s a great balancing act. And will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! Ninety eight and three quarters percent guaranteed.

10. Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.

11. You’ll miss the best things in life if you keep your eyes shut.

12. You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room.

13. Oh, the things you can find if you don’t stay behind!

14. Today is your day, your mountain is waiting. So get on your way!

15. When you think things are bad, when you feel sour and blue, when you start to get mad… you should do what I do! Just tell yourself, duckie you’re really quite lucky! Some people are much more… oh, ever so much more… oh, much much much more unlucky than you!

16. To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.

17. Cause when a guy does something stupid once, well that’s because he’s a guy. But if he does that same stupid thing twice, that’s usually to impress some girl.

18. You ought to be thankful a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you’re lucky you’re not!

19. Sometimes you will never know the value of something until it becomes a memory.

Sources:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/61105.Dr_Seuss?page=5

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/dr-seuss-books/379003490/

Bentley University