IMG 2956JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 2956JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Life > Experiences

10 Things I Am Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Thanksgiving is a memorable holiday in the year where we give thanks for the moments in our lives. As this holiday is approaching, I wanted to sit back and reflect on ten things (not in order) in my life for which I am incredibly thankful. 

My Mom and Dad

I am beyond thankful that I was raised by two parents who give me so much love. Although I am away from school, my mom is my best friend. Before I left for school, my mom would never hesitate to join the car ride trips to Target and Starbucks or go to the mall together. We would go grocery shopping together, cook together, and during quarantine, my mom quickly became my scary movie watching buddy. I appreciate what my mom does for me because others may not get to have a close relationship with their parents, and without having that with my mom, I would not be the woman I am today. 

My dad is one of the largest supporters of my life. He is the first one behind the bleachers at a swim meet with a camera in his hand and the last person awake to make sure my brother and I are safe and sound asleep. I am beyond thankful to have a father like mine tell me he loves me every night because that unconditional love has brought me so many opportunities in life that I confidently took on with the help of his encouragement. 

My Brother

My older brother is my role model, my rock, and my best friend. My brother walked me through middle and high school and showed me how to set my priorities straight. He told me what classes to take, and he made swimming more enjoyable. He would scream over my head behind the 100 freestyle blocks, and I would be over his head in the 100 breaststroke. He would always drive me to and from school. On top of a stressful, busy schedule, he taught me to “think like an engineer”  – in other words, think with a problem-solving mindset; it has gotten me very far in college. Whenever I am overwhelmed with work, I sit back and take a second to think of how I can overcome my stress. I am fortunate to have a brother who positively influences my life as others may not have that unique relationship with their siblings. 

My Close Friends 

I am the type of person that values close relationships with my friends. I am beyond thankful that I have the kinds of friends in my life where I can celebrate on a good day and eat ice cream and watch movies with on a bad day. It is so rare nowadays to find relationships with mutual trust and loyalty, and I am so thankful to have people in my life that can make every moment eventful; it is so special. They always bring light into my day and make me look forward to what is to come in my future. 

My Coach 

I am thankful for everything my swim coach does for the team at school and me. My coaches give their all in making sure that their swimmers are happy, healthy, and safe, more now than ever during a pandemic. My coaches always motivate us at meets and push us during hard sets in practice. Their unconditional love and dedication to the sport create a positive and heartwarming atmosphere that I look forward to being around every day. Outside of the pool, they are supportive of our academics and respect our decisions to study abroad, take on an internship, or have to miss a practice for other career-oriented events in our lives. I appreciate having such a unique and supportive community because I know other teams do not prioritize academics over their sport. 

My Pets

I recently just purchased three fish and love them with all of my heart as school pets. However, at home, I have a pet that I hold number one in my heart. He is an 11-year-old dachshund named Mozart, and I am so thankful that my parents raised my brother and me with animals because now I have so much love for them, and I know that other people are afraid of them because they are not used to them. When I live at home, my dog is the first to greet me, and the last I say goodbye to when I leave. He always cuddles on my lap when I watch the Bachelor on Monday nights, and I am so thankful to get to have that comfort and have “a (wo) man’s best friend.” 

Bentley University

Bentley University allowed me to find who I truly am. I am so thankful I am able to study at this institution where I can explore my passions. I discovered my love for corporate design and marketing in my major courses and the Bentley Marketing Association, and I discovered my love for writing through the HerCampus club. If it were not for Bentley, I would not have found an internship this semester that I genuinely love, and I would not have been able to swim with such an incredible team. 

Technology

Without my laptop, phone, or social media platforms, maintaining relationships with my friends in New Jersey and on campus would not be possible. During quarantine, I know that the limitations to seeing others took a toll on a lot of people’s mental health, including me. Technology has kept the connection between me and my friends, which has helped me mentally knowing how they are and if they are safe and healthy.

My Past 

I am so thankful for the decisions I have made that have resulted in where I am today. Had I not taken on specific projects or opportunities, I would not have learned from them. Without learning, I would not be able to grow and mature. And I plan to keep taking on more opportunities because those experiences shape who I am. 

My Health

Going through a pandemic has made me more thankful and appreciative of my health. The blessing of being free of illness and injury allows me to function and conquer my tasks daily. I am so grateful because you never know when a disease or injury can develop that has the potential to set you back, predominantly or not, from life. 

Food and Clean Drinking water

In other areas of the world, it is unfortunate and disheartening that individuals are starving and thirsty because they struggle to find those essential resources to live. Being able to have easy access to clean water and food in the United States is a blessing. I am beyond thankful that, especially with Thanksgiving right around the corner, I have the privilege to sit down with my family and eat a meal with them. 

Hello! My name is Marissa, and I am a senior at Bentley, pursuing a degree in Marketing and a minor in Information Design and Corporate Communication. I am also on the swim team, swimming sprint free. I love writing personal experience articles and reviews on stores and products.