10 Things to Do on a Plane That’s NOT Watching a Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

While traveling by plane, it often can be hard to find something to do during your time on the plane other than downloading TV shows and movies to watch for long flights. While traveling by plane, it is the perfect time to disconnect from the world and your devices. Here are some ideas for things to do while traveling by plane that is not watching videos!

1. Read a book

This is a common one, but I suggest bringing an actual book. It is better for the eyes to read a book than on a tablet and helps you rely less on devices. 

2. Do a word search or crossword puzzle

In airports, they often sell books with mind games such as word searches, crossword puzzles, or sudoku. These will help keep your mind stimulated during a long flight. 

3. Learn a new language 

This idea especially applies if you are traveling to a country that does not speak your language. Why not use that time on the plane to be productive and learn some simple phrases? You can download the app called “Duolingo” which is great for beginner language learners. 

4. Photos

On every trip I go on, I take lots of pictures. Take the time on the plane to either delete photos to make storage for more pictures, delete the bad photos, or edit the pictures you recently took on your trip. This is a perfect time to be productive on your phone. 

5. Work

Although this may be a given, traveling is a great time to get some homework or work done. You can do assignments or study, just be sure that you don’t need WiFi because even if the plane has WiFi, it is not always reliable. 

6. Journal 

If you’re coming back from a trip, this is a good time to reflect on your experiences and write it down so you can look back on it in the future. You can also write what you are grateful for which I often think about when traveling. 

7. Rest

Traveling is without a doubt exhausting, so try to sleep if you can. If not, rest your eyes and body because you most likely have some busy days either ahead of you or behind you. 

8. Listen to something

Make sure you have some music, a podcast, or an audiobook downloaded. This is good to drown out other sounds and maybe even help you sleep. 

9. Color!

Coloring has been proved to reduce stress! If airplanes stress you out, this is a good option for you to relax while on the plane. 

10. Write a Her Campus article! 

A lot of the articles I have written were when I was traveling. I find that I think about a lot while traveling, especially by myself, and always come up with new article ideas. I jot my ideas down and begin writing!

Images: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11  

Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!       
Loredana is a New York native taking on Boston! She is currently finishing up her last year at Bentley University studying Marketing with a minor in Computer Information Systems.