10 Easy, Affordable Christmas Gift Ideas for Friends and Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

As we reach the final stretch of the fall semester, the last thing on your mind is what to buy for your loved ones for Christmas (once again). It’s easy to let gift wrapping and card making slip your mind when you lock yourself in a study carrel for hours hunkering down on problems for that calculus final (this was me a few days ago). Not to worry! Here are 10 simple, easy, and most importantly inexpensive gift ideas that your loved ones are sure to appreciate this Christmas.

1. Body & bath products

Bath & Body Works has always been my family’s go-to. Their products are not only practical but also personable. Reward your roommate’s hard work all semester with a Eucalyptus Spearmint Stress Relief lotion to help him or her relax. Wrap up PocketBac hand sanitizers for your family members with their favorite scent so they can stay healthy and safe on-the-go. Even better, surprise them with one of the Bath & Body Works ready-to-go gift sets with matching fragrances, gels, and lotions. And—get this—they are all pre-wrapped, and that should be all you need to hear.

1. Candles

While you’re at it, add a candle to your bag for another special person in your life. Personally, I enjoy gifting candles as it gives the person an experience instead of just a product. Candles will spark joy in your loved ones and help them relax, while also adding to that homey feel. If you want, you can even pair your candle with warm winter socks or slippers to keep them warm this season. My favorite places to buy candles are Bath & Body Works and Yankee Candle, but feel free to explore and find your go-tos! 

1. Journals

I love writing. There’s just something about it that helps me take a breather from all the noise in my life. I want my friends and family to have their “breathers,” too—which is why books and journals are my favorite simple gift for Christmas (and really any occasion). This year, I gave my mom two journals—one for prayer and one for meditation/goal setting—as part of her birthday gift in October, with a short message inside. As for the holidays, what better way to kick off the new year than starting a new journal? I bought both journals from TJMaxx for around $10 total, but Marshalls and Target also have a ton of relatively inexpensive options that are still as pretty and aesthetic as luxury journals.

1. Hot chocolate gift set

An easy gift for a family friend or neighbor is a hot chocolate gift set, complete with the packet and a nice mug. These classics are sold anywhere from Target to Amazon to Williams Sonoma. Pro tip: Consider saving this one for someone you don’t know very well, because it’s admittedly a common, generic holiday gift. But that also means you can’t go wrong!

1. Ready-to-Bake Cookies

Not only are cookies delicious, but they are also easy to make when they come pre-packaged and ready to bake. A lot of these treats come with designs already on them like Christmas trees and elf hats, which is great if you’re like me and can’t bake or decorate well to save your life. The obvious choice here would be Pillsbury’s “Ready to Bake!” Cookie Dough, but I’m admittedly biased.

1. Photo desk calendar

This is a perfect gift for someone you are especially close to. Whether it’s your S.O., best friend, mom, sister, or someone else, make sure that you have plenty of pictures with them (or alternatively, of their pet or loved ones). This makes the photo selection much easier. A few years ago, during a busy season in my life, I designed a calendar for a family member using Shutterfly and filled it with pictures of us, our family, and family friends. It’s a meaningful gift that’s perfect for the new year.

1. Salon/Spa Gift Cards

This one is a household favorite. I would even call it a tradition at this point. Every year for as long as I can remember, someone in my family buys my mom or grandmother a gift card to a local spa for reflexology, which just means a relaxing massage on the feet, hands, and head. This requires minimal time and gives them what they really want this Christmas—a chance to relax. If the gift card is over your budget, ask to split the cost with someone else. It’s a win-win in my opinion—both of you paid only part of the cost and now have a gift for that special person.

1. Decor

A simple gift that any college student will appreciate is dorm room decor. On campus, your room is your sanctuary, your safe haven, and your home away from home (literally). Everyone wants their room to be comfortable and homey while also showcasing their interests, aesthetics, and personality. Target has everything you need for any dorm, from wall decor to letter boards to practical gifts like storage baskets. Need inspiration? Head to dormify.com to view dozens of real, curated dorm rooms and browse their amazing selection of products! 

1. Personalized playlist

This gift is unique, memorable, and costs you nothing except a few minutes on Spotify. Tailor the playlist to your best friend’s throwback favorites, favorite movie soundtrack, or simply add tracks that remind you of them or your relationship. Talk about personalization! We all know that music has a world of benefits, including reduced stress and elevated mood, so make this playlist special.

1. Card Games (Conversation Starters)

Normally, you would never find me in the card game aisle. But ever since playing a different kind of game (one that you can’t win) called We’re Not Really Strangers, I can’t think of a more unique gift. The game goes like this: you alternate with one other person, flipping through 150 questions and wildcards to help deepen your relationship and spark meaningful connections. If you’re like me and your favorite conversations are deep, meaningful ones, you’ll love this “game”. What I like about We’re Not Really Strangers is that, with the wide variety of questions, you can play with anyone, even a stranger whom you just met. If you’re looking for more tailored questions, there is a Couples Edition of the game, as well as several other games such as Love Lingual and Our Moments that you can buy for a reasonable amount online.

I hope this article gave you some inspiration for Christmas gifts for your friends and family (that don’t make your wallet cry). Now get to candle-smelling, cookie-baking, and playlist-making!

My name is Mia Ichimura and I'm from Greater Boston. I'm a fourth-year student at Bentley University majoring in Corporate Communications with a minor in Marketing. Following my graduation, I plan to pursue a career in public relations. In my free time, I enjoy reading, photography, listening to music, and spending time with friends and family. I joined Her Campus because I love writing and wanted an outlet to share my ideas and experiences. My favorite topics to write about are productivity and wellness!