What’s Coming in Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Marvel has been rocking the box office with their movies since Iron Man premiered in 2008. From 2008 the mammoth company has released 14 more movies that have had varying degrees of success while still making a great deal of money. The MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) planned 9 more releases out all the way into 2019. 

*Some Movie Spoilers Ahead*

The first phase consisted of Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), and The Avengers (2012). This phase introduced the characters and set up the hunt for the ‘Infinity Stones’ that have become more and more important throughout the films and no doubt will play a major role in phase three.

Phase Two was comprised of Iron Man 3 (2013), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), and Ant-Man (2015).

So far, phase three has only had two movies that have been released the first being Captain America: Civil War (2016), which is the backdrop for the rest of phase three in which the Avengers were divided by government desires to put into place a department to oversee the heroes. The next film to be released was Doctor Strange (2016) which starred Benedict Cumberbatch as a formerly famous neurosurgeon who discovers the mystic arts and fights to save the world from a powerful sorcerer. 

In 2017 Marvel will release Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on May 5. This movie will follow the Guardians on a new set of adventures as they travel through space protecting the galaxy from harm. New characters will join the team and they might just get to the bottom of Peter Quill’s (Chris Pratt) heritage. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 promises more fun adventures with vibrant colors and a dynamic cast of characters. Coming to theaters on July 7, 2017, is the newest rendition of Spider-Man, played by Tom Holland in the new film Spider-Man: Homecoming. This rendition of Spider-Man was introduced in Captain America: Civil War. The film will follow Peter Parker as he traverses the day to day struggle of high school while keeping his secret identity under-wraps from his Aunt. Totally normal high schooler stuff. 

The last movie to be released in 2017 will be Thor: Ragnarök. Thor (Chris Hemsworth) reprises his role as the god of thunder in this film in a race against time to stop the norse end of days, Ragnarök. This movie promises gladiatorial combat and a powerful new female villain, Hela. 

On February 16, 2018, Black Panther will be released, which follows T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) whom was introduced in Captain America: Civil War as well. He will travel back to Africa to take his place as king of Wakanda but will likely face difficulty assuming the throne. Avengers: Infinity War, the third Avengers movie, will likely focus on the Infinity Stones that were mentioned earlier and have been present through the films. We will likely see a team up between the Avengers and the Guardians to battle the latest evil. Finally, Ant-Man and the Wasp will be released which will star Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly.

For the rest of the movies the details are sparse because they haven’t been released, but be assured they will have all the action and glamour that Marvel has proven it can deliver. Captain Marvel, the first female lead film by Marvel is slated for 2019 as well as an untitled Avengers movie. 

Phase three of the MCU will certainly be an interesting ride, with colorful new characters and shifting dynamics between existing characters that we’ve come to know. We know Marvel will deliver us good movies so it’s time to get ready for May 5 to go see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Madeline is a senior at Belmont University in Nashville and a lifelong Tennessean. She is majoring in Entertainment Industry Studies with a minor in Business Administration. She loves binge watching dramas on Netflix, going to Predators games, and spending time with family and friends.