This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

This winter marks my first one away from home: Nantucket, Massachusetts. Naturally, I was thrilled to be spending my first winter away from home in the beautiful, warm South. 

I never would’ve expected for January in Tennessee to be a whopping 10 degrees colder than any town in New England—but I’m not letting this familiar cold weather stop me from enjoying Nashville or make schoolwork seem heavier than it already can be, and neither should you. Here are a few ways to make the most of these frigid temperatures.

Get crafty: This is the perfect weather for staying right in the comfort of your dorm, so what better way to pass the time than arts and crafts? Learn how to knit, make some homemade Valentines, or paint the picture of your dreams with a little help from Bob Ross via his Netflix episodes.

Try new recipes: If you’re looking to bake but aren’t looking to go broke (or face the cold just for a few groceries), Pinterest is your friend! Quickly search for “3-ingredient” or “few-ingredient” recipes and you’ve got yourself a picture-perfect afternoon.

Watch movies: Whether you’re willing to layer-up and trek to a theater with some pals or break out some old DVDs, movies are always a good idea. Cold weather provides the perfect excuse for staying indoors and under the covers; or spending a little extra cash to finally experience The Greatest Showman in all its glory on the big screen.

Try a new workout: Up until this point in the year, my workout consisted of a scenic run around Belmont while listening to all of “reputation” on repeat. However, it’s just too cold for that now and it’s not worth risking getting sick. The Belmont FitRec offers a variety of fun classes at different times throughout the week including zumba, barre, HIIT interval training and others. And if you’re looking for a more exciting experience, you could even check out off campus classes like “Shenanigoats” goat yoga or “Barry’s Bootcamp” workout classes!

Find a healthy combination of these activities, and you’ll find yourself far from bored in this bitter cold! 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

I'm from the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts and came to Belmont because I find Nashville oh so dreamy. You can find me listening to an odd mix of Taylor Swift's "Reputation" and the alternative/indie songs on my of-the-month Spotify playlist. I'm a barista at a small coffee shop on Nantucket, and I love coffee, dogs, knitting, long walks on the beach, and, of course, The Office.